Water Filter with pH balance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thundercougarfalconbird

Reaction score
So my girlfriend got this water filter for Christmas. I'm wondering if it would be any good for brewing.

AQ-4100 Aquasana

I think it looks good, but the pH balance thing scares me a bit.

They don't give a ton of information on that pH thing. I'd probably want to check with at least some pH paper to see what it does. I'm betting someone here has more info on the tech they use to adjust it.

I love how they equate the miniscule amount of Chlorine in your drinking water to the amount of chlorine in a swimming pool... Nice marketing there.

From the manufacturer's web site:

"Our unique two-stage shower filter system uses a combination of copper-zinc oxidation media and coconut shell carbon to reduce 91% of the chlorine in your water, and also reduces synthetic chemicals and enhances pH balance."

Cheers!

Well yea I read that =P I'm just wondering if that specific form of pH balance will have a negative impact on my beer. I've got a pH meter on its way, when it gets here I'll be sure to test the filters pH vs. without. But its more of HOW it does it that worries me rather than WHAT it does.

I was planning on buying a little water filter like most do for brewing then she got this beast filter and I feel at the price it is it would have a nicer filter inside, but if its throwing off a chemical that messed with the beer (say inhibited yeast growth) I'd really hate to burn ingredients for nothing.

I found this: http://www.aquasana.com/assets/660-UL-FAC-R1.pdf

but dont have enough technical know-how to use it.

It was the copper & zinc thing that caught my eye (hence the post). I presume the copper & zinc are there to react with low pH water, so if your water pH is low that filter is going to put copper and zinc salts into the output.

I rather doubt that's a good thing for brewing, but I could be wrong...

Cheers!

Back