Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Heady Topper video - 750 total hardness??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2014, 03:57 PM   #51
zwiller
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Even if the water was treated/boiled the sulfate is not precipated or reduced, right?

Can't someone just send me some HT so I can crack this nut? I am BJCP!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #52
brewski09
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braufessor View Post
They could have boiled it to drop a fair percentage of the hardness out of it.
Wouldn't boiling just concentrate the ions as water boiled away and heavy ions stay in the kettle? Admittedly a water noob. I just filter and brew and it works for me. Water is on the list with the next equipment upgrade cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrungard View Post
By the way, what did you intend the 'file' word to be?

I take it that you didn't get a chance to read that Zymurgy article? The essence of the article was that the very mineralized water seeps upward from the deep aquifer into the shallow aquifer. All the breweries in Burton are near the Trent River. When those breweries pump a lot of water from their shallow wells, the mineralized water is diluted by inflow from the river. So the levels of ions in their brewing liquor were lower than some of the historic references report.
File=dilute. Android autocorrect. It's fixed now.

Nope, I haven't read that one yet, but that makes total sense to me. I assume they were drawing from the deep wells but the shallow wells would be naturally diluted with filtered ground water and lower ion levels allowing the brewers to blend deep and shallow to their choosing based on the style of beer they were making.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #53
brewski09
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyqik View Post
But as mentioned upthread, that number could just be for the mash liquor, with the sparge liquor being much lower in sulfate, giving a more normal profile around 350 ppm sulfate in the boil kettle.

My immediate thought is he was screwing with everyone. I think this is a great point. We don't know where the total hardness was calculated. If this was just for the mash, then they could blend it with anything they wanted to in order to make a different finished product. Pretty much the only way to find out is by brewing consecutive batches and changing the hardness and fermenting side by side. This makes me want to get my hands on some of their water for analysis now (sending the beer to a lab just feels like cheating. So much of the fun here is the process).

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 06-24-2014, 06:49 PM   #54
carvetop
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Planning on shipping a sample of HT over to Ward Labs tomorrow. What have we determined about extrapolating the liquor quality (pre-mash, pre-boil) from the finished product's numbers? From what I understand, at a very minimum the calcium and magnesium numbers will certainly change as the liquor moves through the brewing process. Perhaps our resident water experts can weigh in on this (although I'm sure they already have somewhere on this forum).

Old 06-24-2014, 07:09 PM   #55
dyqik
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski09 View Post
My immediate thought is he was screwing with everyone. I think this is a great point. We don't know where the total hardness was calculated. If this was just for the mash, then they could blend it with anything they wanted to in order to make a different finished product. Pretty much the only way to find out is by brewing consecutive batches and changing the hardness and fermenting side by side. This makes me want to get my hands on some of their water for analysis now (sending the beer to a lab just feels like cheating. So much of the fun here is the process).
Well, the sheet in the video shows a total liquor volume for treatment of 776 gallons. If you know their mash tun size or brewhouse size, you could hazard a guess at what portion of the liquor that makes up.

A quick search suggest 15 bbl or 476 gal for the cannery brewhouse, so 776 gallons might be about right for total volume of water before grain absorption, boil-off and other losses?

Old 06-24-2014, 09:28 PM   #56
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski09 View Post
Wouldn't boiling just concentrate the ions as water boiled away and heavy ions stay in the kettle?
The boiling is short. I think that it only should take a few minutes, but there are references that state it needs to be 15 or 20 minutes. But this amount of boiling shouldn't be enough to significantly drive off much water and concentrate the ions.

The boiling process actually causes a chemical reaction that precipitates calcium carbonate (aka: chalk) and that reduces the calcium content and alkalinity. You can read more about it here: https://www.homebrewersassociation.o...p?topic=5792.0

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 06-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #57
carvetop
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Posted the results here... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/head...d-labs-481031/
Still not quite sure what to make of them.

Quick Reply