Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Planning Old Ale, questions about Brett

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
tdogg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Planning Old Ale, questions about Brett

My original thread; http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/plan...stions-295429/

I am planning to brew my first "sour", an old ale similar to the 11-11-11 Old Ale that many HBTer's did. But first I wanted to pick the brains of people with Brett experience.

Here's my basic plan: brew the old ale recipe, SG around 1.080. I will boil down the first gallon or two of runnings to get lots of kettle carmelization. Then ferment "normally" with an English yeast strain. then secondary in a 5 gallon keg, adding some form of brett to secondary. secondary for 6-10 months and bottle condition.

Any issues with this plan?

I'm not afraid of a fair amount of brett funk, but i dont want so much that it will cover up the caramel and malt notes. If i mash low-ish (148-151) so the sacc can finish lower, will this decrease brett character?

the original 11-11-11 thread used wyeast Olde Ale Blend, which is no longer available. Wyeast says they used Brett L. some people who brewed it said the Brett L contributed a fruity-belgiany-sherry like flavor. what brett strain should i use?

any guidance is helpful. thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Homebrewtastic
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Usually when you pitch Brett as a secondary fermenter you get higher attenuation, so you may want to adjust your mash accordingly. I also wouldn't be expecting "huge" Brett flavor if you're using it as a secondary. But it will still be noticeable. All in all though your plan sounds good

Bottled: Epik Barleywine, Chocolate Chili Pumpkin Porter, EKG Amber
Adventures in Zymurgy - Homebrewing and Sour Beer Blog

Old 01-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
JacobS
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would go with Brett C, as I believe this strain was specifically isolated from an English Stock Ale, and there by more historically 'proper' also it tends not to produce many flavor s mostly aroma

In Secondary:Old Croaker Imperial Stout

Long Aging: Old Bruin, Flanders Red Ale, Flanders Pale Ale, Wheat'n'Peach, TC- Aged Amber, TC-Aged Pale Wheat, pSaison Historiq, Black Bretty, Flanders Red Rye

On Tap: TC-Red Headed Stepchild, TC-Saison v4, TC-Misty Moorings,

Bottled: Thunderhead Imperial Stout, TC-Three Weissmen

http://brewtoadchateau.blogspot.com

Old 01-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
statseeker
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would do Wyeast Brett L. I loved the results with the 11-11-11 batch. Very cherry-sherry like notes in there. Barring not being able to find it, WL Brett C would be the way to go.

For new brewers, especially new all-grain brewers: Check out my blog The New Brewer Chronicals: brewerchronicals.blogspot.com

Old 01-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
Usually when you pitch Brett as a secondary fermenter you get higher attenuation, so you may want to adjust your mash accordingly. I also wouldn't be expecting "huge" Brett flavor if you're using it as a secondary. But it will still be noticeable. All in all though your plan sounds good
Actually you're going to get more brett flavor from brett in secondary than primary.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Are you going to oak at all? I oaked my old ale for about two weeks and it has a great aroma from it.

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Festbier (ECY15), BOSON Prime (Brett Oaked saiSON), Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Primary: None Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), BOSON on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/11/18
Untappd: barrooze

Old 01-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 186

I brewed an Old Ale similar to that recipe about 14 months ago using 1028 and Brett C. I added 2 oz of well boiled, port soaked oak cubes after 1 month. At the 6 month gravity sample the oak was very overwhelming, but now has mellowed out nicely with the Brett adding some sherry notes. Its down to 0.094, but I'll probably let it sit for a few more months.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 01-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #8
cbraun77s
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I love the treacle flavor that some olde ales have. My plans are to add a jar of the english stuff to a similar recipe.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:39 AM   #9
tdogg
Recipes 

Thanks for the tips! My LHBS doesnt carry brett C, but I asked nicely and they are going to order it for me. I have a brown ale sitting on a yeast cake of WL005 that will be used for the old ale. Hoping to brew in about 2 weeks!

Old 02-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
tdogg
Recipes 

Well I have a brown ale fermenting on WL005 right now, so I will use that yeast for the Olde Ale. Also, I have obtained a vial of Brett C and the Blackstrap Molasses. I'm hoping to brew this one next weekend.

As far as Oaking is concerned, I have a port that is in a carboy right now. When the oak cubes are done in the port, ill transfer those to the Old Ale. I think the port will add even more character to this beer, and the oak (im going to use a mix of american and french cubes) will be mellowed out a bit from spending time in the port.

Quick Reply