Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > First sour saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
JBuz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default sour beer

I know the best way to make sour beer. Get at me if you are interested.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #12
Trail
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBuz View Post
The sour boil I mentioned before would sour without harming the saison-ey flavor. Is that what you're talking about?

Kegged: Scottish Ale
Bottled: Honey Saison
Primary: Honey Steam Pilsner (Still!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
The first step is locating a cheap pasta maker. Are you married? If so you probably got one as a wedding present.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #13
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBuz View Post
Let it be heard. I'm always interested in hearing how people are doing soured beers.

To me the best way is just adding a sour culture (I think the Roeselare sacch is a saison strain) and letting it play out. You end up with the appropriate sour character and a nicely complex beer. I don't know how roeselare would play out in a saison on its own due to the claims of it being tame. Additionally I think the spicy "saison" flavors are attributed to the widely held standard of Dupont. That and pure culture techniques have removed the brett and bacteria that I am sure was in all the saisons of the past. Sure brett and so forth is making a bit of a come back, but the "saisons should taste like Dupont" viewpoint has already put people's mind in a box. So for some style geeks if you make a beer and call it a saison and it doesn't resemble Dupont they'll claim it's not a saison or whatever.

So I say brew on and call it saison. I'd just add Roesalare from the start with no additional saison yeast (at least in one fermentor) because like I mentioned, I believe the sacch. strain is a saison yeast in the culture blend. Also don't be worried about underpitching with a souring culture like Roesalare I do it intentionally. I drastically underpitch my lambics/sour saisons with great end results. I base that on cell counts done on "American Coolship Ales" that was published in a paper listing the cell density near 1mil/ml/degree plato at the PEAK of fermentation. So I drastically underpitch to lightly mimic that.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #14
kscarrington
Silent Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 10

What. A. Day! So, I worked up the 10-gallon batch starting at 8am, hit my mash-in temp almost dead on, and ended up deciding to take the RIMS system for a test-drive. While initially I had a fast-enough circulation rate and was watching the temp steadily increase to the set-value, at some point I decided to slow down the flow. Bad move. I think I know the factors involved, but in any case, after completing the boil and preparing to cool and pitch, something didn't seem right. I pulled off a sample and it tasted bitter. Not wanting to just be paranoid I gave my wife a small sample, which she described as bitter as well. Long story short, I ended dumping out the entire batch, and started over from scratch. As much as I hated to do it, I would rather waste the grain and 5-hours of work, rather than waste weeks and months to end up with burnt ass saison and a sour burnt ass saision. Thankfully I was able to scrounge up enough Hallertau and more wheat malt, and started round 2 at around 2:30pm. By 8:30pm, the house and garage were cleaned, and I now have 2 carboys sitting in the corner. In the end, I did a 5-gallon batch with the Belgian Saison, and a 5-gallon batch with just the Roesalare. I'll work on prepping the aquarium heater to start ramping up the fermentation temperature for the Belgian Saison once I start to see signs of active fermentation.

I've never gone through an entire 50-pound sack of grain in 1 day before. Have to admit, it felt kind of good! Although, next time I would rather have twice as many fermenters full!

After a 12.5 hour brew day, and a shower, I'm going to finish my pint glass and call it a night. I appreciate everyone's comments and feedback. I'm patiently looking forward to the eventual outcome(s).

Old 09-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #15
Trail
Recipes 

Wow, what an adventure. I'm a BIABer with little understanding of RIMS processes, so forgive the dumb question - what made the grain bitter? Tannin extraction due to low flow in a heating coil somewhere?

Quote:
The first step is locating a cheap pasta maker. Are you married? If so you probably got one as a wedding present.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #16
kscarrington
Silent Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I believe the primary cause was slowing the circulation of the wort through the RIMS tube, allowing excessive wort contact with the element. An easy comparison is a coffee pot that had been left on a burner, or when you get a drink from a coffee shop and the coffee is burned. It just has that underlying bitterness about it.

I'm going to have to take my system for a test drive with just water before I feel comfortable enough to attempt another brew with it.

All that being said, the carboy with the Belgian Saison is working away. And to think I was concerned a 24-hour starter wasn't going to be sufficient. This is 13-hours after pitching. And yes, it now has a blow-off tube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerin
Wow, what an adventure. I'm a BIABer with little understanding of RIMS processes, so forgive the dumb question - what made the grain bitter? Tannin extraction due to low flow in a heating coil somewhere?
image-591734943.jpg  

Old 09-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #17
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Sad that you had to dump 10 gallons, but your plan for the 10 gallons from round 2 sounds awesome. I'll definitely be curious how all the variations turn out.

Bottled - The Land of Pils and Honey, an imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - an Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, an Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans added

Old 09-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #18
kscarrington
Silent Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It was one of the toughest brewing decisions that I've had to make, to throw away that much time, grain, and resources. As I sit on the couch, listening to both carboys chugging away, I know I made the right decision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by signpost
Sad that you had to dump 10 gallons, but your plan for the 10 gallons from round 2 sounds awesome. I'll definitely be curious how all the variations turn out.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #19
kscarrington
Silent Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

You have no idea how much I was appreciating the simplicity of BIAB Saturday afternoon/evening. I'm currently sitting on the couch, winding down from my "Monday", drinking the last bomber of bourbon vanilla porter that I made from my BIAB days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerin
I'm a BIAB

Old 09-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #20
Trail
Recipes 

Absolutely. If the mash doesn't taste good, none of it can.

Quote:

Quick Reply