Is this brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcampo

Reaction score
Here is my attempt of capturing wild yeasts using unsanitize jug, extra runnings from mash, dregs from Pliny clone, unmashed grains, and open fermentation. This krausen looks strange to me, is it brett in there

0512142045a.jpg

0512142045.jpg

You seem to have a ton of stuff in there. The only way to really know what is in there is to take a sample, streak it out on nutrient agar plates, isolate pure colonies and either do microscopy and a number of biochemical tests or simply have the pure colony sequenced.

Thanks Fermented minds......Ya I don't need to know that bad to do all that work Im not familiar with. I think Ill use it as a starter for another attempt of a sour beer. Im completely new to wild fermentation but Ill give it a shot

Wow, that looks like fun. Right now looks like a thick krausen more than anything. Unless your vision is super sharp, "seeing brett" is going to be difficult. If brettanomyces is present, you'll get a nice pellicle...

Try sticking a long straw in and pulling out a taste.

OP, i would put some kind of loose cover over the opening of your jug, like a piece of sanitized aluminium foil, if not an air lock. at the moment you have positive pressure due to the active fermentation, but at some point that will drop off and dust could start falling in. at this point i'm not sure you want more ambient bugs, like acetobacter. i would limit new entrants, and see what the collection of bugs that you already have in there taste like.

If acetobactor is present, you'll get a nice pellicle...
don't scare the poor kid with unqualified statements like that :D lots of other things can create a pellicle, including brett and pedio. according to vinnie, pellicles protect against aceto (http://www.slideshare.net/bschmaltz/r-rsour-beerpresentation - slide 6).

Don't be scared. If you put a cap on that thing your chances are very low. I just noticed the top was off.

However do be aware that aceto can be the one forming the pellicle as well - being obligate aerobe (an organism that requires oxygen to grow), it would be most interested in living where O2 is coming in contact with the beer.

Yes, pellicles can protect against aceto if they are formed by something else first.

So I have already place a stopper with air lock when the krausen started to decrease. What do you guys suggest I do with this? Save as a starter for another sour? Blend with another 1 gallon wild brew? drink it?

So I have already place a stopper with air lock when the krausen started to decrease. What do you guys suggest I do with this? Save as a starter for another sour? Blend with another 1 gallon wild brew? drink it?

Fuggin drink it man! Lemme know how it turns out.

Back