Any hope for this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudduck123

Reaction score
I made a five gallon batch of wheat ale last year. Liking spicy things, I though I would take a gallon of it and add some jalapeños to it before bottling. I believe it was about the end of June when I noticed this growth. I had it in a cabinet in my laundry room that we never use so it was forgotten about until today. What do you guys think? Is there any hope for this?

image-2277620639.jpg

image-4152530556.jpg

You know, I normally say it might be ok but if it's been since June you're probably screwed at this point. That said, you and I both know there is really only one way to find out!

Epic pellicle. How do you feel about sour beers? Looks like you've brewed one, and eight months or so in, it should just be getting tasty (for some definitions of tasty).

I've never tried a sour beer. I guess I'm going to have to go to the store and pick some up. From what I've heard, it sounds like something I would like. The one thing I'm curious about since there are jalapenos in it is how a spicy sour beer would be.

I've never tried a sour beer. I guess I'm going to have to go to the store and pick some up. From what I've heard, it sounds like something I would like. The one thing I'm curious about since there are jalapenos in it is how a spicy sour beer would be.

There's a big difference between making a sour beer and accidentally making a wild beer. Just because brewery's that make wild/sour beers use open fermentation and get bugs from their natural environment doesn't mean you can do it successfully. I mean sure, it might be good in a sour beer kind of way but I'm guessing that is not gonna be very good. Like I said though, only one way to find out. That said you should pick some up and try them out if you're interested. I dig them and have two purposefully inoculated beers in the basement aging right now.

I can't wait to try one. I've seen them at the beer store but have always passed them over. Now that I found out i'm making one, I really want to see what it's about. Also I guess I won't pour this beer out. I'll let it ride and see how it is after a while.

I can't wait to try one. I've seen them at the beer store but have always passed them over. Now that I found out i'm making one, I really want to see what it's about. Also I guess I won't pour this beer out. I'll let it ride and see how it is after a while.

You're technically making a wild brew although wild brewery's have a very controlled environment to make their products good. You have no idea what's in there and if it's bad now it probably won't be good in months or years, it will only get worse most likely. You have an infection which more often than not is not a good thing.

My gut feeling is eww peaches and jalapenos. However do a quick taste. You might like it, but if you hate it, you can dump it, brew a new beer and get your carboy/closet space back.

One question from a relative noob who's never had anything weird growing on my beer:

How in the heck would you rack any beer off of this without getting at least some of that moldy gunk into your glass/bottle? I suppose you could just stick the siphon tube into the middle and let it run for a little while, but I guess I'd still be a little grossed out if even a little sticks to the inside of the tube? Just curious from those who've experienced this.

BrewinBromanite said:
One question from a relative noob who's never had anything weird growing on my beer:

How in the heck would you rack any beer off of this without getting at least some of that moldy gunk into your glass/bottle? I suppose you could just stick the siphon tube into the middle and let it run for a little while, but I guess I'd still be a little grossed out if even a little sticks to the inside of the tube? Just curious from those who've experienced this.

Well, that's not mold, it's a protective pellicle layer covering the surface produced by the bacteria/yeast. So when he siphons the beer out from below it, a pinch may come with but it doesnt really matter. The beer itself is already 'infected' (which i mean in a positive way of course) with what created that layer and there is no escaping that souring funky goodness. sometimes it will create a slight film on the beer in the bottle, but not enough to negatively impact the beer once poured. Hopefully that makes sense.

todd46 -

Thanks! Those pics look pretty crazy. I've never experienced anything quite like that (either intentionally or by mistake), but good to know the beer would still have a chance (and wouldn't kill me)! I'd probably be one to die trying, but would rather live to drink another beer!

Sour beer is definitely an experience. Like others have said though - there's a big difference between intentionally brewing a sour beer and getting an accidental infection. Intentionally brewed sours are inoculated with specific wild yeasts and "bugs", aged for a specific period of time, and otherwise handled/blended to develop a very specific and intentional flavor profile. Accidental infections are exactly that - accidents. You may get lucky and get a tasty strain of something. You may get a nasty one. Or you may get some other random bacteria that prevents or inhibits fermentation.

Like others have said - there's only one way to find out what you have there. Bottom's up! :mug:

One thing to keep in mind, now that you have an infection growing. Any soft plastic or rubber equipment that comes in contact with the beer is basically only good for sour beers. That includes racking canes, stoppers, airlocks, vinyl tubing, buckets, etc. You can label it sour and only use it for sour batches from now on (or just toss it). But I wouldnt use it for any future batches of non-infected beer. Glass should be okay though. Just clean and sanitize the hell out of it before your next batch.

Along with tasting your batch (which should be interesting, with peaches, peppers AND infection), I would suggest that you try some commercial sour beers. There are a wide variety available - and each one is unique. My personal favorite is Petrus Aged Pale, with Monks Cafe Flemmish Red a close second. Duchesse De Bourgogne is pretty high on my list as well.

Back