Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > WYeast 2124 Bohemian lager not fermenting 5 days

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #11
SpeedYellow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickwalker View Post
I brewed my first lager 12 days ago and I have a similar problem (I also used 1 smackpack Wyeast 2124). My OG was 1.052 and after 12 days it still hasn't changed. I have it in my kegerator which is set to 48F (too cold?). I activated the smackpack about 8 hours before pitching. When it came to pitching my yeast I'm not sure why I did this but I think I read to do it somewhere: I pitched the yeast when the wort was at 70F, I left it there for an hour or two, checked it and the air lock seemed to be bubbling so I put it in my fridge.
Oh ya, I also did not aerate this beer at all.
What do I do???
You sound new at this but I'll try to help. First off, no need to resurrect an old thread for a general question about pitching. Unfortunately, you basically did everything wrong starting fermentation.
8 hrs isn't long enough. 1 pack isn't enough (for lagers, absolutely must do a starter). Pitching warm isn't generally advised. For lagers, you really need good aeration. Considering your process, a no-start isn't at all surprising. After 12 days, you have a serious risk of a write-off but its impossible to say.

I'd recommend doing some forum searches on each of these topics, improving your process, and aiming for better results next time.

P.s. questions like this go in the Fermentation subforum

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply