Who has made a samurai clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntingohio

Reaction score
After my local shop dropped the great divide beers. I guess its time to make a clone.

I was wondering who has tried and what there prosesses were for converting the rice

To me it tastes like a sake [koji kin used] the sweetened with a light dme or lme and fermented with beer yeast, leaving it nice sweet and tasty.\
Any info or your input would be appriciated.

So after a bit of research I have came up with 3 different avenues to persue this

1. Make a wort consisting of 2 row and cooked instant rice, possibly adding dme or dextrose [or both] for a higher abv and more body.

2. get koji kin and make sake rice, the add light or extra light malt extract, and ferment with beer yeast.

3. Use naruk and brew makingoli style with either a simple 2 row wort or malt extract.

I have no idea what hops to use, It would have to be something very low in IBUs with either floraoral vegitative or grainy notes.
At this point its more of a brain storming session wont be finalizing ideas until next week, so feel free to throw any ideas you have into the ring.

If you havent had the beer yet do yourself a favor and find it and their yeti youll thank me later on. Its nothing like sapuro or any of the comercail corn and rice beers its pretty tasty.

Did you end up making this?

I love Samurai and I found out from one of Great Divide's reps that they're no longer making it. I emailed the brewery begging for some recipe help and all they could tell me was that rice only makes up about 5% of the grain bill. I was thinking about 90% 2 Row, 5% C20, and 5% Rice Syrup Solids or a cereal mash with long grain white rice.

What method did you end up settling on and how did it turn out?

Bumping this bc I want to make something like Samurai for my brother.

If the brewery really said rice is only 5% of the fermentables, it would have to be syrup right? Otherwise seems like it wouldn't have much effect.

The brewery rep that I originally spoke to said that they were phasing the beer out because making the rice fermentable was too much work. I assumed he was talking about mashing whole rice.

Latest posts

Back