What's with the fraction of oz measurements in recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My point is that grain is an organic product and you will never replicate exactly a recipe by measuring to the tenth of an ounce of base grain. Actuallyeven hops, where a tenth of an ounce is a bigger percentage of the total,still we are dealing with a product that changes with time. How old are the hops? How were they stored?

Get my point?

Lets imagine a hypothetical brew day....

You pull up your recipe,

It calls for 3.362 pounds of pilsner malt.

You say, pffffft, 3.4 lb it is!

You put your bucket on the scale and start pouring your pilsner malt into it. The scale reads up and up....1.642 lb...1.935 lb...2.811 lb...3.285 lb..you start slowing down...3.299...3.310...3.320...3.362...3.400

Why bother rounding? You've still got to measure the weight.

Agreed. Since you are measuring anyway, the rounded number is as arbitrary as the original.

I see value if an order calls for 1.07 lbs of carapils and you grab the 1lb bag ofF the shelf at the LHBS.

What's with the use of 'imperial' units in the US, anyways?

The official units used here are the 'metric' ones. By an act of Congress in 1866 (That's the 19th Century, not the 20th), H.R. 596, the Metric System became the standard in the United States. President Johnson (Andrew, not Lyndon B.) signed it into law.

http://www.nist.gov/pml/wmd/metric/upload/HR-596-Metric-Law-1866.pdf

Also, The U.S. Omnibus Trade and Competitiveness Act of 1988 designated “the metric system of measurement as the preferred system of weights and measures for United States trade and commerce.” U.S. Public Law 110-69 in 2007.

Just FYI.

Here is another point.

Listen to this interview with John Kimmich of Headdy Topper fame.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/homebrew-advice-alchemists-john-kimmich-464738/

He talks about each batch being slightly different because the ingredients change. So does it make sense for a home brewer to measure down to the fraction of an ounce of base grain trying to be precise?

You will never produce the exact same beer each and every time. You will get close but as the ingredients ( which are organic ) will change slightly with every batch, so obsessing about a fraction of an ounce is just folly.

Then why measure? Just throw în a handful of this, two handfuls of that. It'll never be the same again anyways right?

Do we just shake the bag of DME over the splash of water when we prepare our starters?

Do we grab any random tablespoon when we measure sugar to add for bottle conditioning?

I give up. You win. Round to the nearest handful and brew a random beer every time, chock up any differences to organic ingredients.

You're arguing accuracy. I'm arguing precision. Two very different things.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/math/accuracy-versus-precision

Then why measure? Just throw în a handful of this, two handfuls of that. It'll never be the same again anyways right?

Do we just shake the bag of DME over the splash of water when we prepare our starters?

Do we grab any random tablespoon when we measure sugar to add for bottle conditioning?

I give up. You win. Round to the nearest handful and brew a random beer every time, chock up any differences to organic ingredients.

You're arguing accuracy. I'm arguing precision.

I am not saying to be random. But measuring BASE GRAINS down to the tenth of an ounce makes no sense.

Being precise with bottling sugar was never brought up. I measure that to the 1/10 of an ounce. I measure out my starters very accurately also. But a. tenth of an ounce of base grains ina 12 lb recipe is being anal.

It comes down to how far off you are. 0.1 oz off out of 10 lbs of base malt is 0.065% off. 0.1 oz off out of 5 oz of priming sugar is 2% off. Which one are you more comfortable with?

It comes down to how far off you are. 0.1 oz off out of 10 lbs of base malt is 0.065% off. 0.1 oz off out of 5 oz of priming sugar is 2% off. Which one are you more comfortable with?

You get my point. I never mentioned hops or priming sugar. I just mentioned BASE GRAINS.

Sure being accurate with smaller amounts is more important. .1 oz in a 1 oz hop addition is a 10% change. Not what my original post was about.

Let me ask one question.

Is it easier to measure to 10.00 lbs than 9.90 lbs ( or 9.95) does it just "feel" better to have even amounts to you?

My recipes are based off of base grain additions that equal a 50lb sack of 2-row.

12 + 10 + 10 + 9 + 9 leaves me with no random handfuls of grain after five batches.

Let me ask one question.

Is it easier to measure to 10.00 lbs than 9.90 lbs ( or 9.95) does it just "feel" better to have even amounts to you?

Let me get back to the original post. I was talking about tenths of an ounce of base grain, not tenths of a pound. Big difference. Make it even ounces not 8 lbs 4.3. oz. Why not 8 lbs 4 oz? .3 oz of BASE GRAIN is not going to make any difference.

You get my point. I never mentioned hops or priming sugar. I just mentioned BASE GRAINS.

Sure being accurate with smaller amounts is more important. .1 oz in a 1 oz hop addition is a 10% change. Not what my original post was about.

But even there, the alpha acids concentration can vary within a particular hop type by more than 10%. If the recipe calls for 0.5oz of Simcoe and I accidentally shake out a bit too much and find myself with 0.55oz on the scale, I'm not worrying about it.

As far as base grains go, it seems to me that the important number is the ratio of grain to batch size, and I doubt that those people measuring grains down to three decimal places are employing equal precision in measuring their water quantities.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Let me ask one question.

No, but it is easier to measure 10.0 lbs than 9.95, 9.90 or 10.00 lbs.

As far as base grains go, it seems to me that the important number is the ratio of grain to batch size, and I doubt that those people measuring grains down to three decimal places are employing equal precision in measuring their water quantities.

You get the point . There are so many variables in brewing that .3 of an ounce in a 12 lb grain bill is just being pure anal.

How accurate is your boil off estimation? Let's take into account the temp and relative humidity. That can change a lot. Can you hit your final volume down to the oz? I think not. So putting a fraction of an ounce into a recipe is being anal.

So if someone hands you a recipe that calls for 3.362 lbs of pilsner, you're going to make the extra effort to change it to 3.4 lbs on paper then take the time to *precisely* measure out 3.4 labs on the scale, when you could have more easily just measured out 3.362 lbs to begin with. Doesn't that smell futile? why bother tweaking numbers for no other reason than your subconscious tells you that nice, simple, even numbers look nice???? You're going to expend the same effort in measuring 3.4 lbs or 3.362 labs when you get right down to it.

You've spent a tremendous amount of time trying to argue specifics to help your case...its variable organics, it doesn't matter.... its just base grains, it doesn't matter. Why not just be as *precise* as you are with all the other parts of your brew process???? i.e. measuring dme for starters, measuring hops, measuring specialty grains. Not using a common method or practice is actually more effort.

O.1 lbs of base gran difference *doesn't* matter... but why bother go to the extra effort to change it?

How accurate is your boil off estimation? Let's take into account the temp and relative humidity. That can change a lot. Can you hit your final volume down to the oz? I think not. So putting a fraction of an ounce into a recipe is being anal.

More or less anal than arguing about it on the internet?

OK let's keep this on track. The original post was about base grains. Not hops.

Even though your post was specifically about the silliness of measuring grains to the millionth decimal place, it brings up the larger issue of how recipes are spread and how a good recipe is written. As others have said, simply reporting the weights of ingredients is not really sufficient to tell someone how to replicate your beer. Giving grains as percentages, putting hops in terms of IBUs, color in SRM, and a general description of flavor is a much better recipe. It gives a brewer what he/she needs to actually make something resembling the target beer. Everyone knows there are large variations in technique, equipment (efficiency), and available ingredients (malting profiles, alpha acid content, etc). But a lot of recipes ignore this. Telling me to add 1oz of cascade at 60min is nearly useless. There can be huge variations in AA% within the same harvest on the same farm.

BTW, I'm sure this seems a little knitpicky, but homebrewing has evolved a lot since the days of dusty cans of hopped LME with expired dry yeast taped to the top. But for some reason our recipes are often stuck in the past.

Anyway I'll climb off my soap box now.

OK let me put it this way. Again my original post is about base malt not hops or priming sugar, or anything else. I ageee with the hops part because the volumes are so much smaller, so a little can make a big difference.

There are a lot of variables in brewing.

To give a grain bill of 12 lb 4.3 oz of grain is being anal. Do you really think that the .3 oz is going to make a difference?

Each malter has variables. So 12 lbs from one malter will not be the same as 12 lbs from another. Each batch has variables. What about all the other variables of the brewing process? Do you control the mash pH to the fraction. Not. 5.2, but 5.235. I guess not. How about water volumes. Do you measure it to the fraction of an ounce. I seriously doubt it. How about boil off? can you get your after boil volumes down to the fraction of an ounce? I seriously doubt it.

So to trying to get your grain down to the tenth of an ounce is just rediculous.The closest ounce is fine. A fraction of an ounce in a 12 lb grain bill with the variables from each malter makes it a statistical no wash.

You don't even acknowledge any one else's arguments. You're just repeating yourself.

You can't reason someone out of a position that they didn't reason themselves into.

So if someone hands you a recipe that calls for 3.362 lbs of pilsner, you're going to make the extra effort to change it to 3.4 lbs on paper then take the time to *precisely* measure out 3.4 labs on the scale, when you could have more easily just measured out 3.362 lbs to begin with. Doesn't that smell futile? why bother tweaking numbers for no other reason than your subconscious tells you that nice, simple, even numbers look nice???? You're going to expend the same effort in measuring 3.4 lbs or 3.362 labs when you get right down to it.

As pointed out earlier, while its just as easy to measure 3.362lbs as 3.400lbs, its a darn sight easier to measure 3.4lbs. To put this in context, one kernel of barley is approx 65mg, so with a bit of rounding (horrors!) we get roughly 7000 kernels to the pound.

So, if Im measuring 3.4 lbs and an extra 100 kernels slip off my scoop/out of the bag, Im still good. But if Im measuring 3.36 lbs, those 100 kernels have put me over. If Im measuring 3.362lbs, its even worse, half a dozen kernels can put me over. Now if 6 extra kernels fall onto the scale, are you picking them off, or are you saying, 3.363lbs is close enough?

You've spent a tremendous amount of time trying to argue specifics to help your case...its variable organics, it doesn't matter.... its just base grains, it doesn't matter. Why not just be as *precise* as you are with all the other parts of your brew process???? i.e. measuring dme for starters, measuring hops, measuring specialty grains. Not using a common method or practice is actually more effort.

Because you are not being just as precise with the rest of your process. As has been pointed out, you are not just as precise when measuring water. As homebrewers, we dont even have the means to measure alpha acid concentration of the hops or the sugar content of the grains. Our boil off rates are educated guesswork. So you are being *far* more precise in one area of the process than almost everything else. That precision is going to get lost in errors and approximations introduced elsewhere in the process, so why bother?

O.1 lbs of base gran difference *doesn't* matter... but why bother go to the extra effort to change it?

Because the effort of rounding in my head is far easier than the physical process of slowing my pour to the right scale or adjusting the number of grains to the 10's. It would be even easier if I didnt need to do so when reading the recipe and people only reported the precision that is necessary.

I say use metric and screw that stupid Oz measurement, problem solved.
I see a metric measurment in a recipe and I stop reading.

American homebrewer using metric = Hipster :D

On topic: My grains are always based on percentage of the total bill but get rounded off.

edit:
And for our next decussion, let's talk about the cell counts numbers you see people using.

I see a metric measurment in a recipe and I stop reading.

American homebrewer using metric = Hipster :D

On topic: My grains are always based on percentage of the total bill but get rounded off.

edit:
And for our next decussion, let's talk about the cell counts numbers you see people using.

Homebrewer using metric=accurate.....the shame ;)

It's caused either by scaling a recipe up or down or moving from metric to English.

Just round to the nearest half-pound if a base malt or quarter pound if specialty malt. No big deal.

This is exactly what this entire thread is talking about. Welcome!

Agreed. Since you are measuring anyway, the rounded number is as arbitrary as the original.

I see value if an order calls for 1.07 lbs of carapils and you grab the 1lb bag ofF the shelf at the LHBS.

Excellent point!

Maybe not everyone has a scale that measures down that accurately. Even more, I'm willing to bet that most who have scales that measure that accurately have NOT calibrated in some time (if ever) which means they aren't actually that accurate.

This entire thread comes down to how precise of a person you are. I stated earlier, I have a good bit of cooking knowledge, but can't bake to save my life. I loath the exact preciseness of baking. This is why when I see a recipe that calls for 4.25oz of some malt, I will just use 4oz. Or maybe I want it to be a bit darker and will use 5oz. If I see 26.5gms of a hop, I will surely just weigh out an ounce. I don't stress over very slight variables. In brewing EVERYTHING is variable. Weights, efficiency, boil off, trub loss, the list goes on and on. If I agonized over every single little measurement that wasn't just right, well, I'd probably stop brewing. It wouldn't be fun anymore.

BUT I fully realize that there are a whole other group of people out there who like to work in exact numbers and love to be precise. This is what you thrive on. You're probably great bakers! And that's awesome. I don't have that same attention to detail.

At the end of the day, I very much enjoy the beer I make as I'm sure you do to. We just have a different way to go about it.

:mug:

:off:

Homebrewer using metric=accurate.....the shame ;)
Your smiley face is appropriate if it’s for sarcasm. That statement is just silly. Neither system is more accurate. Another decimal point can always be added to either to get you closer to a precise number. It’s all about communication and most people in the US can relate to pounds and ounces more than grams.

A system based on water at melting point is pretty arbitrary in the scheme of the universe. Someday an egghead will come up with something “better” and convince the hipsters to switch again.

“Look. All the units rhyme, so they’re easier to remember.”

:off:

Your smiley face is appropriate if it’s for sarcasm. That statement is just silly. Neither system is more accurate. Another decimal point can always be added to either to get you closer to a precise number. It’s all about communication and most people in the US can relate to pounds and ounces more than grams.

A system based on water at melting point is pretty arbitrary in the scheme of the universe. Someday an egghead will come up with something “better” and convince the hipsters to switch again.

“Look. All the units rhyme, so they’re easier to remember.”

This issue is only arising because people can't make up their minds. Ounces should never be mixed with decimal points, in a real world you'd go full on medieval and use 16th's and 8th's and never touch a decimal point behind an ounce.....

I'm sorry, but there isn't much of a worse recommendation to be found on this site.

Yeah, and you're full of it as well. Maybe if you're making a one-gallon batch you should be concerned about quarter pounds of grain, but for a five gallon or more batch? You are not going to taste the difference.

Yeah, and you're full of it as well. Maybe if you're making a one-gallon batch you should be concerned about quarter pounds of grain, but for a five gallon or more batch? You are not going to taste the difference.

Yup. And a one-thousandth of an ounce, like was being argued earlier? Forget about it.

Look fellas, no hard feelings. No one needs to thump chests around here. People are set in their ways and will go to great lengths to justify them. I just don't think ad hoc rounding, and the mindset that goes along with it, is going to help improve the quality of your beer.

So, where do you draw the line? We have variables in the quality of the grain due to age, malting, grind, etc. We have potentially inaccurate scales. We have many factors. How precise do we need to be? Whole ounce? Half ounce? Quarter pound?
How about hops? 1/4 ounce?

Can the answers to these questions vary between batch size? Measuring to a whole ounce of hops and quarter pound on grains might be fine on 20 gallon batch? But what about a 2 gallon batch?

I think you're short changing yourself if you start using rules of thumb that can lead to variations between batches, especially if you share the recipes with others. I know I would taste a beer and say that's a pinch too hoppy or too chocolatey. What do you do? How do you finely tune a recipe that started out with grains rounded to a quarter pound and halves of ounces of hops?

Look fellas, no hard feelings. No one needs to thump chests around here. People are set in their ways and will go to great lengths to justify them. I just don't think ad hoc rounding, and the mindset that goes along with it, is going to help improve the quality of your beer.

So, where do you draw the line? We have variables in the quality of the grain due to age, malting, grind, etc. We have potentially inaccurate scales. We have many factors. How precise do we need to be? Whole ounce? Half ounce? Quarter pound?

Can the answers to these questions vary between batch size? Measuring to a whole ounce of hops and quarter pound on grains might be fine on 20 gallon batch? But what about a 2 gallon batch?

I think you're short changing yourself if you start using rules of thumb that can lead to variations between batches, especially if you share the recipes with others. I know I would taste a beer and say that's a pinch too hoppy or too chocolatey. What do you do? How do you finely tune a recipe that started out with grains rounded to a quarter pound and halves of ounces of hops?

The truth of the matter is, unless you're regularly testing your hops for AA viability, testing your grains for diastatic power, testing your water for mineral content and testing your yeast starters for cell count, your beer is only going to be a close approximation of what your recipe is calling for. I'm all for homebrewers spending tens of thousands of dollars on titration equipment, spectrophotometers and microscopes, but I think I'm in the minority.

So sure, go ahead and weigh your grains out to the smallest decimal that your inaccurate scale will measure them out to if it helps you sleep at night. But your beer is still going to be a relative crapshoot, ingredients-wise. I think that homebrewers should instead focus on the things that we DO have control over: the brewing process and fermentation regimen.

It's a fool's errand to try to "finely tune" a recipe on a homebrew scale. We don't have the equipment for it. You can keep messing with a recipe until it tastes just right and then send that recipe out into the homebrew world, and chances are the next guy that tries that recipe is not going to brew the same beer as you did, even if they measure everything as perfectly as they can. But their taste buds aren't the same as yours, so they might like their version even more.

The truth of the matter is, unless you're regularly testing your hops for AA viability, testing your grains for diastatic power, testing your water for mineral content and testing your yeast starters for cell count, your beer is only going to be a close approximation of what your recipe is calling for. I'm all for homebrewers spending tens of thousands of dollars on titration equipment, spectrophotometers and microscopes, but I think I'm in the minority.

So sure, go ahead and weigh your grains out to the smallest decimal that your inaccurate scale will measure them out to if it helps you sleep at night. But your beer is still going to be a relative crapshoot, ingredients-wise. I think that homebrewers should instead focus on the things that we DO have control over: the brewing process and fermentation regimen.

It's a fool's errand to try to "finely tune" a recipe on a homebrew scale. We don't have the equipment for it. You can keep messing with a recipe until it tastes just right and then send that recipe out into the homebrew world, and chances are the next guy that tries that recipe is not going to brew the same beer as you did, even if they measure everything as perfectly as they can. But their taste buds aren't the same as yours, so they might like their version even more.

I completely, 100%, and fully agree with this statement!

I'd also like to add that life is too short to stress over tiny, miniscule details. Especially considering all the tiny variables associated with home brewing, as stated above.

Ding, ding.

If you give 10 different brewers the exact same recipes (I don't care if it rounded off to the pound or the 0.001 of an ounce), you'll wind up with 10 different beers just due to grain crush, water, yeast, and fermentation variables; let alone grain and hop weights...

Agree completely with the last few posters. With the scale that most home brewers are brewing at (say, up to the 30-40 gallon range, most in the 5-10 gallon range) the small variations are going to be overcome by differences in quality of ingredients (AA%, cell counts, age of malts, etc) and your technique.

When brewing at a microbrewery scale or larger, multi-barrels, the ingredients will tend to average out (and you're more likely to be testing for actual values). "What's that? The AA% is 4.3% not 5.2% as expected? Increase the hops to adjust..."

I believe that most of the recipes you see calling for small percentages of ounces of hops or malts have been scaled down from commercial recipes. We've all seen the recipe calling for 2.35oz of Simcoe. Really? I believe it if it's scaled down from 235oz.

This is a good question. I think we all can agree that some measurement is too fine . . . no one is measuring nanograms of hops or pipetting their water to be accurate to the milliliter. But on the other hand, what is too course?

For me, its a judgement call. One part in 50 is probably a decent generalisation, but its still variable. I tend to measure to the oz on grains, although Im fairly forgiving of errors in my 2-row. But grains with stronger flavors or darker, I will measure more accurately. Particularly when the total amount is less than a pound. If a recipe calls for 3oz, Im likely to measure that down to the tenth, at 12oz, I may only worry if Im over or under by 2 or 3 tenths. If I need 8 1/2 lbs, 8lbs 9oz is going to be fine. Hops, Im likely only to worry about tenths of an oz, even though I may be measuring sub-oz quantities, because I dont think we can control the product that well.

Now, Ill note these variations in my logbook, ("a bit extra" or "a tad short") so if they do appear to have made a difference in the end-product, Ill know what I did for good or bad. Frankly, I want some variation between batches. Learning what does and doesnt make a difference is part of what makes a good chef, and I expect it will be part of what makes a good brewer. When cooking, I havent made a recipe as written in 20 years, and I take the same approach when brewing.

The first thing I do with your recipe is to enter it into my software, truncating what I think is unnecessary precision. Then, given that my process is likely different from yours, Im going tweak it to get the numbers that matter -- OG, IBU, inline with what the recipe lists. Then Ill likely tweak it further based on my own tastes -- I like a more bitter beer, so maybe Ill up the hop content, or shift some bittering charges earlier. Maybe Ill darken it or substitute some redwheat for part of the plain. Then finally, Im going to tweak it based on what I have in my closet -- If you call for 1/2lb 60L and I have 80L, I may try using it, possibly dropping an oz or two. Then Im going to print that and make that.

I just got a call from the store I placed an order with. Apparently they were out of one of the yeasts I ordered. Is that going to make a difference? Mabe, I told them to substitute another, similar yeast, Im quite confident that the beer I make this weekend will come out fine, maybe with a slightly different character, but it will still be tasty and I am sure I and my friends will enjoy it.

Absolutely it depends on batch size. Any measurement needs to be accurate in proportion to its total amount.

And in turn, I suspect you are shortchanging yourself by being too slavish to a recipe. If you dont have variation between batches, how do you learn? When I open a commercial brewery, Ill worry about consistent output, until then I enjoy the fact that each batch turns out a bit different, and my notes of "a tad over" and "sub 1lb for 6row" are sufficient for me to learn from.

Its funny how different people think so differently. Everyone keeps saying all these little variations effect everything so what's the point in being so exact in measurements.

However, to me, in a hobby with so many variables and inconsistencies it just gives me that much more reason to be as exact on everything I can control.

For the average homebrewer (myself included), I would amend this to:

Agree completely with the last few posters. With the scale that most home brewers are brewing at (say, up to the 30-40 gallon range, most in the 5-10 gallon range) the small variations are going to be overcome by differences in quality of ingredients (AA%, cell counts, age of malts, etc) and especially your technique.

You could be off a 1/4 lb of specialty grain but you'll notice being off 3 degrees too high during fermentation more.

We've all seen the recipe calling for 2.35oz of Simcoe. Really? I believe it if it's scaled down from 235oz.

I think it's scaled more on AAU's than scaled down from commercial recipes...

If you need 20 AAUs and your hops are 10% your math is going to give you a nice round number (2oz). But if your AA's are 9.3% and you truly want your 20 AAUs, it's not going to be as rounded (2.15oz).

Latest posts

Back