Weizenbock - best before?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piotr

Reaction score
I am going to brew ~1.080 Weizenbock for a competition, how long should I age it in bottles, so that it is in the best shape?
Rather short like weizen or rather long like bock?

Did you use a wheat yeast or a bock yeast? If you used a wheat yeast go ahead and start drinking when they're ready. If you used a bock yeast, then it depends on your sanitation, but it should be able to age for a while. As a general rule of thumb the darker or stronger it is, the longer it can age for, but the wheat yeast can start to throw some nasty flavors if it sits too long.

I made my first weizenbock @ 1.079/8.5-8.9%ABV on July 30. Sampled several since but will now begin to dive into it (4 months past brew day). For me, it seems to have held up very well. Seemed too young (alcohol) for me at 2 months past brew day. Last night I had a pint and it went down smoothly. Peak could have been at 3-4 months I'm guessing. It will be interesting to see how it ages further down the road.

The recipe is Jamil's from Brewing Classic Styles.

I have about half a keg of weissenbock that has been aging since March. I am about to stick it back in the kegerator and give it a try. About two months ago it was getting very smooth.

This is a very strong brew. 8% ABV and very heavy on the coffee and chocolate flavors.

:rockin:

I made my first weizenbock @ 1.079/8.5-8.9%ABV on July 30. Sampled several since but will now begin to dive into it (4 months past brew day). For me, it seems to have held up very well. Seemed too young (alcohol) for me at 2 months past brew day. Last night I had a pint and it went down smoothly. Peak could have been at 3-4 months I'm guessing. It will be interesting to see how it ages further down the road.

The recipe is Jamil's from Brewing Classic Styles.
I brewed this recipe about 2 months ago. It has tasted awesome as soon as I tried the first glass. I am glad, it was a long brew day with all that grain.

Back