Want to make a Rye PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllisTX

Reaction score
I've got 4 lbs of rye malt. I'm wondering what base malt to pair with it. I've got Munich, Vienna, and standard Rahr 2row. Will the 2row allow more rye to come through or would the other malts pair up better?

I would go with the 2row, I recommend no more than 15% of your grainbill should be rye.

Cheers,

i've used over 20% of rye, it's awesome - just use some rice hulls in the mash...of those bases, definitely regular 2row, but supplement with some munich - it's a very'a nice with the rye

From Denny's Rye IPA - excellent beer and if I brew it again I'd actually bump the Rye up to 25% or so.

67.7 11.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
18.5 3.00 lbs. Rye Malt America 1.030 4
7.7 1.25 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
3.1 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
3.1 0.50 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2

Thanks for all the tips. I'll likely brew this weekend. I'll post what recipe I end up with.

You don't need any carapils or wheat in a rye so skip those ingredients. Rye has excellent head retention on its own. I would leave out any crystal malts as well as I like the color to be closer to that of the unaltered rye.

My Rye Pale 75% 2-row, 25% malted rye. A fantastic beer IMO.
IMG_0181.jpg

You don't need any carapils or wheat in a rye so skip those ingredients. Rye has excellent head retention on its own. I would leave out any crystal malts as well as I like the color to be closer to that of the unaltered rye.

My Rye Pale 75% 2-row, 25% malted rye. A fantastic beer IMO.

My only experience with rye beers are from Real Ale's rye pale ale and Hop Rod Rye. Both of those undoubtedly include crystal malts. I'm really a fan of Real Ale's. What hops do you use?

I like the hop rod rye so I hear where you are coming from.

Centennial/cascade or Centennial/Amarillo are the two I used when I made mine. I like to keep hops in 2 or 3 at a time. Keeps it more simple and lets the true combination flavors come through.

Here's what I think I'm going with. I plan to mash at 152 for 60 minutes(BIAB). Dry hop with an oz of cascade or amarillo. Any suggestions?

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 61.54 %
3 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 23.08 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 11.54 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 29.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.90 %
Bitterness: 39.9 IBU
Est Color: 9 SRM

image-3230088568.jpg

This has been in keg for about two weeks with a half oz each of cascade and amarillo. Tastes and smells great The only tweak I'd go for is mashing lower to lighten the body a bit.

View attachment 36552

This has been in keg for about two weeks with a half oz each of cascade and amarillo. Tastes and smells great The only tweak I'd go for is mashing lower to lighten the body a bit.

Looks great! I do partial mashes, and I agree with you about mash temps and rye. I try to mash my ryes at around 149-150. It makes them nice and crisp.

Oooooh, that looks great! I have 3 pounds of rye malt in the basement, and I think this beer has to be on my short "to brew" list! Thanks for the photo- I love when people add photos of the finished beer. Awesome. :ban:

Thanks Teach and Yoop! This beer keeps getting better(as most all beers do) everytime I pull a pint. I increased the carb to about 14 psi and it's helped with the body a bit. This will be one of my regulars.

i shouldn't have clicked on this thread so late at night, now i want a beer...looks delicious, Ellis...t'was a solid recipe

Back