Vienna SMaSH - which hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickypad

lupulin shift victim
Reaction score
I've been wanting to do a Vienna SMaSH for a while and it's finally up next. I'm also trying to also get away from citrus (at least American citrusy hops) as I've brewed a lot of those lately. Here's my list, would like to hear thoughts from those who've used any of these with Vienna. If anyone feels strongly about a hop that's not listed, I may be able to grab something today as I have a bag of grain to pick up. It would be nice to use up what I have though. Oh and not sure if I'm going to do this as a lager or ale yet but it will be something clean. Thanks guys.

Galaxy
Nelson
Motueka
Saaz
Willamette
Sorachi (though may not have enough for true single hop)

The hop you use will really depend on what kind of vienna smash you are doing, lager or ale. You can do a 100% vienna smash lager to relative style with saaz hops. If you want to get a little more intricate you could do a single malt and double hop all vienna ale/lager with saaz and willamette. Conversely if you want a more interesting ale type smash I would say willamette, but you can just as easily do another double hop with saaz and willamette.

Without adding too much opinion to it and using what you have, I would strongly suggest saaz or willamette if you want to move away from the more citrusy varieties. Saaz will be a little spicier-noble flavor and will contrast the malty flavor of the vienna and willamette is a fuggles derivative which will have a very mild citrus-catty like flavor and aroma but is more in the relm of earthy floral which will complement the vienna malty flavor. You can also change the malt flavor by mashing at different temps. If you want something dry for an lager or ale, mash low and long to get a drier crispier flavor. Saaz will go nicely with this process. For a more rich flavor, keep your mash temps higher around 150-153 to accentuate some of the malty character. This latter, warmer, mash schedule will go nicely with a combo of saaz and willamette or solely willamette.

In short, use saaz or willamette if you don't want too much citrus flavor and you don't want to buy another hop varietal.

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys, and one last bump before I brew this in the morning. Right now thinking to toss a coin between Nelson and Saaz. Yeast is gonna be Pacman, it always attenuates well and comes out nice and clean for me.

Back