Unmalted wheat types

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indigi

Reaction score
If you're going to use unmalted wheat in a recipe you've got three readily available choices: whole kernel raw wheat, torrefied wheat, and flaked wheat. I was wondering if anyone knows of differences between them in the final product.

I know they'll behave differently in a mash, but what about their flavors? Is one better tasting than the other, or would you even be able to tell? If you use 40% flaked wheat in a witbier, would that produce inferior or different flavors to 40% whole kernel or torrefied wheat?

They are all very similar. I don't think the whole type is worth it unless you want to do a more complex mash for other reasons, like a turbid mash for a lambic. Torrefied wheat is just a bit than the other two wheats, so I'd skip it as a high percentage in a wit. That leaves flaked as the best choice for for something like a wit in my opinion (although mixing in a bit of flaked oats as well never hurt either). Good luck.

Back