Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Un clear of what ale yeat does in low temps.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2006, 04:36 PM   #1
AHammer16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Un clear of what ale yeat does in low temps.

I just made 2 beers a week ago and i have this nagging question in my head that since the dawn of brewing for me has been un clear. When using an ale yeast and fermenting below the reccomended temp. what does the yeast do flavor wise? I know high temps give you fruity like ester flavors but what do low temps do to the flavor profile. The yeasts i used were wyeast american ale and wyeast london ale.

one chants out between two worlds
Fire - walk with me."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2006, 04:43 PM   #2
Janx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

It just ferments more slowly. It doesn't tend to generate any off flavors from being too cold.

If it's cold enough and/or the beer is high enough gravity, the yeast may not be vigorous enough to finish the fermentation. But generally it's just slower. All of my beers are fermented cold in the winter. No harm done. Yeast is really very flexible.

Cheers

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply