Two Shores IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Mainebrew

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing an IPA with both US and English characteristics/ingredients. Recipe:

5.25# US 2-row
5.25# MO
0.25# Crystal Malt 30
0.5# Crystal Malt 60
1 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) 60 min
1 oz Willamette 20 min
3 oz Willamette at flameout
Starter of WLP 023 Burton Ale yeast

My OG should be 1.054 and my IBU's should be 57.
Any suggestions before I brew this on 2/9/11? This is my first IPA attempt, as I usually prefer slightly maltier beers, but my dad has wanted an IPA for some time now so I guess I'll give it the ole college try. Thanks everybody.

Looks pretty good to me. I think it will be more English than American, which is fine if that is what you are going for. I don’t personally care for that yeast strain, but lots of people like it (it comes across too minerally for me).

I've only used this yeast in an oatmeal stout and it came out amazing! Very light fruit aroma, not minerally at all. We'll see how it works in an IPA though. Thanks. Is this too much crystal malt for this 5 gal recipe?

Since you are doing a pretty low gravity you should be fine. I avoid using much crystal malt on higher gravity IPAs because they have enough sweetness solely from the huge amount of base malt.

If you like the yeast, use it of course. The nice thing about beer is that most things aren't about right and wrong, but about personal preference.

So I brewed this up on Wednesday 2/9/11. The gravity samples tasted great, and just what I was looking for. Its fermenting now and it'll get kegged/bottled (I haven't decided which) once its done. I'll probably try and drink it/gift it young to keep the hop aroma present.

So I ended up kegging it after only like 5 days in the fermenter, it got to FG after 50 hours! It was quite delicious, and its already gone. Next time I would definitely up the hops for probably 20 or so more IBU's and go more to the American style IPA. Other than that it was a very enjoyable English IPA.

The next time you should be a little more patient and keep it in the fermenter for 2 weeks and let the yeast finish their job. I bet it will be even more enjoyable. :)

Yeah you're right I'm sure. It was some impatience on my part because of new kegging equipment. It's easier to wait now. It was an inaugural batch. Just another excuse to keep brewing.

Back