Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > A Tribute to Hunahpu

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
WhizardHat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default A Tribute to Hunahpu

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1275
Yeast Starter: 2L
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.112
Final Gravity: 1.029
IBU: 75
Boiling Time (Minutes): 120
Color: SRM 76
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14d @ 60F
Additional Fermentation: Age in bottles as long as you can handle it
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30d@ 60F
Tasting Notes: Still in planning phase

Howdy folks,

Below is my attempt to clone Cigar City Brewery's Bourbon aged Hunahpu. For those that have not had the pleasture, it is a thick, black, boozy Imperial Stout, aged over ancho chiles, chocolate, vanilla, and cinnamon in a bourbon barrel. As far as I can tell, very few attempts at cloning have been made.

My sources include The Mad Fermentationist, some guy on Hopville, and feedback from my Reddit post in /r/homebrewing. Note that the recipe at Reddit and the recipe here are not identical. I have included much of the feedback from that post here.

I would like to garner some additional feedback from the fine populace of HBT, so, without further ado:

Grain Bill
  • 17# 2 Row
  • 2# Chocolate Malt [8.4%]
  • 1# Black Patent [4.2%]
  • 1# Carafa I [4.2%]
  • 1# Roasted Barley [4.2%]
  • 12oz Flaked Oats [3.2%]
  • 8oz C120 [2.1%]
  • 8oz Flaked Rye [2.1%]

Mash Schedule
  • Full Body Single Infusion Mash with Mash-Out
  • 156F for 75 min
  • 168F for 15 min

Hop Schedule
120 Minute Boil
  • 3oz Northern Brewer @ 60 [53IBU]
  • 2oz Goldings @ 20 [12.6IBU]
  • 1tsp Irish Moss @ 10
  • 2oz Target @ 5 [9.1 IBU]

Yeast
  • Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley
  • 2L starter
  • 1 tsp Yeast Nutrient
  • Fish Tank aeration for 20 (?) min

Primary Fermentation
14 days @ ~60F

Secondary Fermentation
30-60 days @ 60F - Bulk aging on flavor additions, and in a bourbon barrel
  • 1oz Ancho Chiles
  • 1 Vanilla bean, split
  • 1/2 Cinnamon Stick
  • 6 oz Cocoa Powder

Bottling
  • 2.1 volumes of C02
  • 3oz corn sugar
  • Condition for 30 days @ 60F

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
WhizardHat
Recipes 

My questions:

• 2Row or Maris Otter?
  • 1.030 seems really high for FG. Your thoughts?
  • Any point in 3 hop additions, or shall I just dump hops at 60 and call it good?
  • Yeast Nutrient, yes or no?
  • Should I add champagne yeast to secondary to dry things out?

Old 04-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
skibb
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Are you sure it's aged in bourbon barrels and not just regular oak barrels? I only ask because it has the same stats (OG/ABV) as it's base beer Zhukovs which isn't a bourbon aged RIS.

According to the site its OG is 30 P - meaning 1.131 ----> FG = 1.048ish to get an ABV of 11% (FG would have to be even higher if some of that 11% was contributed by bourbon from a barrel).

One 60 minute hop addition should work nicely, the hops are just there to balance out the sweetness of such a big beer, not to contribute anything more than that IMHO.

I don't get why people think wine yeasts dry beers out - they don't. Most, if not all, cannot metabolize maltotriose which sacc can. If you pitch a proper amount of healthy cells you should have no problem reaching full attenuation (depending on your mash schedule). Where Champagne yeast could come into play would be for bottle conditioning as it has a great alcohol tolerance and will eat up your priming sugar no problem.

I REALLY wanna be able to clone this beer someday. I wonder if reaching out to the brewer would be a good idea? CC is homebrewer friendly, but this beer is so high profile...

It would be great to know their amounts of spices they use and their process with integrating them into this beer. Good luck on the clone!

Old 04-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
elixir
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I asked Wayne Wambles of Cigar city about Marshal Zhukov along time ago. It's hunaphus base beer it has It has roasted barley, black patent, chocolate malt, C60L, C120L and two row. He didn't specify what hops are used or anything like that. Not even ratios of grain :-(. I know that cigar city empties their mash tun and refills it for this beer. I always wondered if one could make a beer so viscous in a 5 gallon batch. Hope this helps. I think they do use EKG for the hops as well..

Old 04-24-2013, 02:03 AM   #5
skibb
Recipes 

Thx elixir! Good info - Yeah I've heard that to make that stout they fill and empty the mash tun 3 times...Not sure if it's just the first runnings though

Old 04-24-2013, 02:30 AM   #6
Oophaga
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 203

Hunahpu isn't aged in barrels. They have hunahpu that IS aged in barrels but all the same base. MZ is not confirmed as the base for hunahpu and they actually deny that claim. Amazing beer, and I hope you come close. Post results, maybe in the future I'll try. The beer is sooo damn good. The thickness of it is unparalleled. MZ is definitely in second behind it for me. Thats another I'd love to clone.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
WhizardHat
Recipes 

Skibb, Oophaga: Hunahpu is sold as a base beer, and also as various barrel aged versions, including bourbon, brandy, and rum. All are fantastic!

Skibb, the reason I asked about champagne yeast is that the only other big beer I've done was from a kit, and it had me add champagne yeast to secondary, but you're probably right that it was for conditioning purposes. It just seemed that 1.03 was a very high FG, but my research of big beers seems to indicate that is about normal.

Elixir, thanks for the tips! 2 row it is. But I'll need to squeeze some C60 in there as well. No Carafa at all? I guess you can get the same effect from Black patent & chocolate. Only EKG as a bittering addition would seem like a ton of hops. I wonder if you couldn't get the same effect with just a couple ounces of magnum at 60 (or 120) minutes?

Oophaga, just re-read your post. You're correct. I'll leave what I wrote for posterity.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
WhizardHat
Recipes 

Found some additional information here on HBT about this beer. Relevant discussion begins at post #53

Old 04-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
skibb
Recipes 

So I went digging in the old archived blog from CCB and found this -

Quote:
Next in the list of new pilots is a Mayan Chocolate Imperial Stout. The base malt will be Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter. It also has the standard roasted malts of an imperial stout with chocolate malt and roasted barley being pushed to the forefront and a smaller addition of black malt. This beer will also feature Fawcett and Hugh Baird cara malts (I love both of these maltsters because their specialty grains have so much flavor). Also in the grist bill, I will be using extra dark munich and some flaked barley for added body. The hop bill is simple and incorporates UK First Gold and UK Fuggle. The interesting part is the spice and chile additions that go into the secondary. They include ancho and pasilla chiles. The ancho is a standard chile that is used quite a bit in chili powder and it is not as hot as the pasilla. The pasilla chile has smoky notes and I will be using more ancho than pasilla because I don’t want the beer to be too smoky or too hot. I will also be adding Madagascar vanilla beans, threshold levels of cinnamon and raw cacao nibs. Once all of these things have been extracted in the secondary, the beer will be racked to a keg for carbonation. I will be using our house ale strain for this beer as well (Thames Valley). This beer will be about 11%ABV and will weigh in at 80 IBU’s. It should be a great beer for Fall and Winter. I am brewing this as a nod to Mayan/Incan worship and love of chocolate and it will be nothing short of decadent.
Quote:
My techniques and precision have become much more efficient. I have dialed in mash efficiencies and total volume lost in the kettle on a standard one hour boil using a measuring tape and all just in time to make the last of the high gravity beers in this series of pilots. The Mayan Chocolate Imperial Stout, which I brewed on October 2nd, was even higher in gravity at my projected volume than I expected it to be. It finished at 26.8 degrees plato (11-12 ABV) at slightly over 5 gallons of yield. The mash looked like enough grain for a 10 gallon batch (28 lbs). The mash gave back mocha espresso with a multitude of dark caramel and toffee components. I was fortunate enough to have the foresight to put it into a larger carboy. It raged at the thought of being contained in any vessel during the process of fermentation and is still acting like a raptor even as I type…krausening 4 – 6 inches above the liquid surface (the raptors tested the shock gates in Jurassic Park). Eight different grains and 80 IBU’s are just the base of this beer. I can’t wait to get the chiles, raw cacao nibs, vanilla and cinnamon in there. Then it will be 10 – 14 days of contact time away from calling for a sacrifice on the temple steps as I hold the knife in one hand and this magical, historical elixir in the other. I guess it was all about population control back then and these guys were worse than that Cocoa Puffs’ bird (lol).
Quote:
It will have ancho chiles mostly with small amounts of pasilla chiles
http://blog.cigarcitybeer.com/

These are back from 2008 when they were calling it the Mayan Chocolate Imperial Stout. The recipe has likely been changed/tweaked but some of this information could be helpful I think!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #10
skibb
Recipes 

I received an email from Wayne regarding the gravities of Zhukov's (asking if they were truly that big. His reply: OG: 30-32 and FG 11-13. He did give me a hint that they use a substantially large amount of roasted malts to balance the residual sweetness. He mentioned the base malt was less than 50% of the grist.

Could someone please send an email to CCB and ask them if Zhukov's is used for the base beer? I feel if I reply asking this question I may be found... (Though I really would wanna clone either of these awesome beers!)

Quick Reply