Tazo Focus Black Tea stout remix.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrank85

Reaction score
Hey all got a recipe i want to throw out there and get everyone's opinion on. The original recipe is based off of the Tazo Focus black tea mix and its ingredients are as follows;

Black Tea, Lemon Balm, Chicory, Cocoa Peels, Roasted Yerba Mate, Rose Petals, Citrus Essence Oil, Rosemary, and natural flavors.

The recipe i would like to try would include cacao nibs, orange zest, and chicory. I figure the tannins in the roasted barley and chocolate malt would contribute the "tea like" astringency while i could use a hop that is earthy and grassy that could represent the yerba mate. Here is the current recipe.

American Stout 2.5 gallon batch

Predicted OG: 1.058
Predicted FG: 1.014
SRM: 33
IBU: 50
ABV: 5.9%

Malt

5lb Maris Otter
6oz Chocolate Malt
2oz Roasted Barley
Infusion mash @ 155F
Sparge to get 3.5 gallons

Hops

60min .75oz Pride of Ringwood (or any other woody/earthy variety)

Yeast

WLP001 Cali Ale
OR
WLP028 Edinburgh

Misc

Zest of 1 orange, boil for 5 min
1 tsp Irish Moss, Boil for 15min
1oz chicory 14 days in secondary?
2oz Cacao nibs 14days in secondary?

How should the chicory and cacao be used? Primary or secondary? How long?

If you're set on using nib's I'd think they'd have to be boiled to extract any flavor. Otherwise, I can't see them having enough surface area to do much.

If it were me, I'd go w/ a bit of unsweetened natural cocoa power in the last 5-10 mins of the boil.

Back