St. Bernardus Christmas Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelersrbrun

Reaction score
I am drinking this years St. Bernardus Christmas Ale and for once I am picking up a distinct flavor. I'm getting a rootbeer aroma and flavor. Any chance it is flavored with Sarsaparilla Root? I have never heard about this being used before and it would explain the unique flavor.

Hammy71 said:
No, just a crap load of liberty hops in the whirlpool at flame out. No spices.

Im not sure that is correct. I met the brewer from st bernardus that came up with the recipe and he did admit it was spiced. Perhaps it's cardamom...I guess I will just have to keep trying to brew it till I get it right.

I make the clone from BYO (where the quote the brewer saying no spices) every year. But, if you make the brew straight up, with the crap load of Liberty hops at flame out, you get a nice mild spice taste/smell. I have also brewed the same beer using a 20 minute whirlpool at flameout. Wow, the beer taste like it has a ton of 'xmas' cookie spices in it. Don't underestimate the power of that much flameout hop additions (American or otherwise). The whirlpool definitely improves aroma/taste hop additions in your beer. Besides, not sure I would call it a Belgian in anyway.

Hammy71 said:
I make the clone from BYO (where the quote the brewer saying no spices) every year. But, if you make the brew straight up, with the crap load of Liberty hops at flame out, you get a nice mild spice taste/smell. I have also brewed the same beer using a 20 minute whirlpool at flameout. Wow, the beer taste like it has a ton of 'xmas' cookie spices in it. Don't underestimate the power of that much flameout hop additions (American or otherwise). The whirlpool definitely improves aroma/taste hop additions in your beer. Besides, not sure I would call it a Belgian in anyway.

What year/issue is the Christmas Ale clone recipe ? I spoke with Marco Passarella at two separate tastings and he did say it was spiced. He did say the Abt 12 had absolutely no spice at all. And why wouldn't you call it a Belgian? Other than the fact that it is brewed in Belgium it was originally released as their 60th anniversary edition brew. That BYO clone recipe has no spice listed but the ingredients are certainly Belgian.

Back