Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zacher

Reaction score
I'm trying to clone this and have seen a lot of different recipes. Some with Brown Malt, some without, some with toasted oats some not. I thought I would put it out here and see what the forum thought. Anyone have a good recipe?

Dave

OK, nothing yet. Anyone care to comment on what I have so far?

8# Marris Otter
7oz Brown Malt
4oz Crystal 60
4oz Toasted Flaked Oats
3.5oz Chocolate Malt
1.25oz EKG at 60
.5oz Fuggles at 60
.5 Fuggles at 15
Either using Wyeast ESB or Irish Ale
Mash at 156 for 60 minutes

Efficiency: 80%
16 SRM which lines up with Daniels "Designing Great Beers"
32.7 IBU-Designing GB Says 34 IBU
OG-1.049
FG-1.013

Zacher, I've seen a bunch of recipes too, so given that, go with your hunches! I brewed a clone attempt once and felt it matched pretty well. Drinks more like a darker special bitter than a dark nutty/toasty/roasty brown to me. Given the low level of crystal malt in yours versus the amount of brown/chocolate and bitterness, you might be a bit on the drier side of things. My recipe had triple the amount of crystal and it was a british variety, which IMO, will get you closer to original. You are in the ballpark so if you can get bottles of SS, brew this and compare! I haven't had much luck with oats so I think at this rate I don't think it would contribute much unless you've had experience with them otherwise.

Latest posts

Back