Safbrew T-58, what is it good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
"Absolutely nothing. Huh! Say it again now."
ignore that.

I asked my wife to pick me up some US-05, and ended up with T-58. She claims she showed my note to the clerk at the HBS and that's what he gave her. I know there is one guy there I don't trust, but everyone else at that shop is great. Anyway, so now I have two packets of this stuff and don't know what it should be used with. Their website is not very informative at all. It doesn't even give an ideal fermentation temp.
SO -- Anyone know much about this yeast?

What hops? I've never made a Belgian pale, not to mention I have a list (and the ingrediatns for) about 6 other brews in line. I might see if I can trade someone the yeast around town. Thanks for the help, guys.

Taken directly from the Fermentis website pdf for SafBrew T-58:

http://www.fermentis.com/FO/EN/pdf/SafbrewT-58.pdf

A speciality yeast selected for its estery somewhat peppery and spicy flavour development.

Sedimentation: medium. Final gravity: high.

Also recommended for bottle-conditioning of beers. Excellent performance in beers with alcohol contents of up to 8.5% v/v but can ferment up to 11.5% v/v.

Recommended fermentation temperature: 15C – 24C.

That is about as much information as you'll get on any other yeast. btw, 15C = ~59*F and 24C = ~75*F

I vote trade - either with someone else or with the LHBS. You sound like you already know what you want to brew in the immediate future, and this yeast is just throwing a wrench in your cogs.

Otherwise, a Belgian Pale does sound like the best way to "get to know" this yeast. I might just do that myself, in fact. :p

I'm a digital illiterate, or else I'd link you there myself, but, search out BierMunchers "Cream of Three Crops" cream ale recipe, and pitch it with T-58. Trust me.;):)

What hops? I've never made a Belgian pale, not to mention I have a list (and the ingrediatns for) about 6 other brews in line. I might see if I can trade someone the yeast around town. Thanks for the help, guys.

For a Belgian, any noble hop. Saaz is what they use in the legendary DeKoninck. Mt Hood, Vanguard, Hallertau, or Styrian Goldings will work well. Additions at 60 and 15 seem to work well. The aroma should come from the yeast rather than from hops.

Back