Rye question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimstuff

Reaction score
Ive never used rye before. Is it possible to use its spicy characteristics without a lot of creamy slickness? I'm working on a dry, low-malt, full-flavored IPA and want to complement the spice character of some of the hops I'm using. Would rye help me toward that goal, if so how much should I use?

I have a bitter I made with 50% rye malt and there's no perceivable creaminess you'd get from flaked rye.

You can do a beta-glucan rest at 110 degrees to help reduce the slickness. 20-30% is a reasonable amount for flavor.

It seems like the OP would be more satisfied with 12-15% rye malt (no flaked) in an otherwise clean grist of English 2-row and maybe 3-4% cara-rye with 5-6% wheat malt, mashed low, fermented cool with a decent attenuating yeast like WLP007, and an OG that isn't too high.

I brewed a 1.061 OG IPA like this with Chinook, Nugget, and Northern Brewer once and it came out great.

It seems like the OP would be more satisfied with 12-15% rye malt (no flaked) in an otherwise clean grist of English 2-row and maybe 3-4% cara-rye with 5-6% wheat malt, mashed low, fermented cool with a decent attenuating yeast like WLP007, and an OG that isn't too high.

I brewed a 1.061 OG IPA like this with Chinook, Nugget, and Northern Brewer once and it came out great.

Thanks for the tips... CaraRye? Never heard of it! Obviously I have much more reading to do about other grains. I should have included the recipe I'm trying to work this into, so here it is (work in progress):

3.5 lb 2-row
3.5 lb MO
1.0 lb Cara-Pils (may change depending on Rye addition)
0.5 Sucrose

0.75 Warrior 60
1.00 Galena 10
1.00 Styrian Goldings 10
0.50 Cascade 10
1.00 Styrian Goldings 0
1.00 Cascade 0
1.00 Styrian Goldings dry hop
1.00 Cascade dry hop

US-05

I've brewed a version of this once (w/o the Golding hops and a bigger Cascade addition at 10 mins), and I love it. I want to enhance the apple notes and the dryness, which I read that Rye can do. But I don't want to add so much that it gets creamy or malty... the recipe already has a nice silky mouthfeel, and I like that, but I don't want it malty or any more lingering sweetness. Basically, I am looking for more flavor and aroma dimension, and a bit more dryness.

A secondary question, then, is how this would impact the need for Cara-Pils. In the recipe, I use it and the sugar to add body and alcohol without impacting flavor. Should I subtract the Cara-Pils if I add Rye?

Thanks for the tips!

You don't need sucrose for a standard IPA, low in OG. I would allow the yeast and mash temps/ferm temps to give you the dryness you're after. As far as the malts that will affect body (carapils/wheat/cararye)... you'll only need like 4-5% total in the recipe given your goals.

MO is kinda heavy for an IPA. 20% or so will work, but honestly I'd rather go with just English 2-row. It has more character than American 2-row, but not as heavy as MO or Golden Promise.

I would cut the bittering addition to attain 20-25 IBUs, then achieve the rest later on in the boil. Styrians seems a little out of place IMO, but it will still work.

Question... Where's the RYE MALT there?? You seemed to have left it out (not talking about cararye).

You don't need sucrose for a standard IPA, low in OG. I would allow the yeast and mash temps/ferm temps to give you the dryness you're after. As far as the malts that will affect body (carapils/wheat/cararye)... you'll only need like 4-5% total in the recipe given your goals.

MO is kinda heavy for an IPA. 20% or so will work, but honestly I'd rather go with just English 2-row. It has more character than American 2-row, but not as heavy as MO or Golden Promise.

I would cut the bittering addition to attain 20-25 IBUs, then achieve the rest later on in the boil. Styrians seems a little out of place IMO, but it will still work.

Question... Where's the RYE MALT there?? You seemed to have left it out (not talking about cararye).

I left it out because this is what I'm starting with and wanted input on how much to put in.

Oh, well I answered that question already.

...Forgot to add that Galena and Cascade are not "spicy" hops... they're more citrusy than anything.

Oh, well I answered that question already.

...Forgot to add that Galena and Cascade are not "spicy" hops... they're more citrusy than anything.

Thanks for the tips. I want this beer to be more citrusy than spicy, so that's why I went with these hops.

Back