Raspberry Wheat question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
So what do you think of this recipe? Here in Ohio, we had a very very bad tornado July 10th last year and this July 10th we are having a party to remember it and celebrate us surviving! haha. We were out of power for days and my road had over 15 telephone poles down and I was blocked in my house for a couple days because of this.

So for this July 10th party, I was going to make a raspberry wheat beer to drink there, and dedicate the name to the tornado.

Steep 1 lb munich
add 6lb wheat DME to boil
1 oz hallertauer 45 min.
1 oz saaz 15 min.
german wheat wyeast 3333
4 oz rasp. extract at bottling

Any ideas how to make this better? I will not be using real fruit, sticking to extract.

Just out of curiosity, why are you against using real fruit?

I mean I'm not against it. Would using real raspberries be a better idea? I have heard good things about both and just settled for extract. My main concern is I wasn't sure which yeast to use.

Raspberries are one of the better fruits for adding to a beer. I would ditch the extract and add some frozen raspberries after fermentation. When they turn white, they're done (3-4) days. Your beer will have a nice pink hue.

And just for my taste, I would do it without the Munich. I prefer a light fruit beer to a malty one. But that's personal preference.

Raspberries are one of the better fruits for adding to a beer. I would ditch the extract and add some frozen raspberries after fermentation. When they turn white, they're done (3-4) days. Your beer will have a nice pink hue.

I agree, and have had great results using fresh raspberries. You will get a more authentic fruit flavor. If you want a strong raspberry presence, use one pound per gallon. I also recommend freezing and thawing them first to break down the cell walls.

Do you think it would turn out good just by using the 6 lbs of DME to the boil and then adding my hops? Should I add any other extract or anything?

Wish I had known this several years ago, I made one with the extract, it was tasty, but I bet real berries are the way to go...

I don't how to convert to extract but here's my raspberry wheat recipe. It's very similar to the one listed under fruit beers in the recipe data base

3# pilsner
3# malted wheat
1.75# flaked rye
.5oz saaz 60 min
.5oz saaz 5 min
.5# rice hulls soaked over night

Mash @154 60 min

After a week in primary rack on top of 3# frozen or fresh raspberries which ever one you use freeze them overnight to break the cells. I love using fresh, it turns the beer a beautiful rose/pink/red color. The beer is very berry forward and is tart.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400272402.860507.jpg here's a pic. This is my 3rd batch in 2 months. I love it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm thinking about doing a raspberry wheat again as well. Last time I used the Danstar Nottingham yeast. This time I'm thinking about using the Fermentis T-58.

Would that be a good yeast?

TIA,
Paul

Back