Pumpkin Ale with a kick??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcfarlandp

Reaction score
Kicking around the idea of making a pumpkin ale with a hot finish. I am trying to brew a beer to fit a name that I want to use for our club's annual pumpkin ale taste off; but not sure how to accomplish having the integrity of a pumpkin ale while at the same time having a hot peppery finish. Any suggestions?

Interesting idea, I've got pumpkin on my list of ingredients to brew with. I would look into using Morita peppers in the secondary perhaps, they are smoked like a chipotle although to a lesser degree. They have a nice kick and a pleasant accompanying fruitiness that may work well with the pumpkin base. You could also try using peppercorns at the end of the boil...

Cayenne pepper tends to be spicy on the end/aftertaste. I've had a cocoa made with vanilla, saigon cinnomon and cayenne. It was very sweet, the cayenne wasn't noticable until after you swallowed. It was excellent.

I've used about 2 ounces of chipotle and a half-ounce of morita peppers for a 5 gallon batch. They are the whole dried variety, definitely get those and not something in a sauce. I added them right at flameout to sterilize, then kept them floating in the primary for 10 days. It's still in secondary, though when I transferred it, it had a nice smooth heat to it. Not sure how it will end up, as I'm sure the heat will subside during bottle conditioning.

Latest posts

Back