Please quick recipe citique on my first designed IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
My first attempt at an IPA for AG. Using Beersmith I'll just post the grain percentages and hopefully you guys/gals can give me some feedback.

US 2 Row 76.4%
Munich 20 16.7%
C40 5.2%
Carapils 1.7%

Total grains 14.40lbs
SRM- 10.9
IBU- 65
6.8%ABV
OG- 1.064
FG- 1.015
Yeast- WLP001 with starter

I love that orange peel color so that's what I'm aiming for in this grain bill plus I'm going to do a 75min boil as I understand that can help get that color also. For hops I'm going to do the following.

Centennial- FWH
Then a mix of Citra, Simcoe, Mosaic, and Amarillo .20oz ea. used at 15,10,5, and FO/Steep for 20min.
Dryhop 1oz ea. Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo, and Cascade. I've heard Mosaic is not a great dry hop, never used it so don't know, otherwise If you've dryhopped with it and it worked for you I'll add it in instead of the Cascade.

I'm going for very hop forward notes of Citrus, grapefruit, juiciness, with some Pine bitterness to round out the flavor. Please let me know what you think and any opinions are welcome.

It all looks perfect to me with the exception of too much dryhops (IMO). Otherwise, let me know when it's ready and I'll be over (with a few of my friends) :D

It all looks perfect to me with the exception of too much dryhops (IMO). Otherwise, let me know when it's ready and I'll be over (with a few of my friends) :D

Thanks for the thoughts. Two reasons for the dryhop. I've seen people say in a hoppier. beer they go for 1oz dryhop per gal this will be a 5.5 gal batch size and second I used 3oz for dryhop in the zombie dust clone and loved the way it turned out so figured why not go 1oz bigger in this one to really hit that citrus, juicy, tangerine, pine note right off the bat.

It all looks good. One adjustment you might play with is to move your FO hops and an ounce or two of your dry hops into a hop stand. After flame out, cool to 175F and add your hop stand hops with the lid on tight for 30 min. Then finish your cooling, pitch, ferment and dry hop as planned. I found I pick up more flavor plus aroma with the hop stand than with dry hopping alone. By cooling to 175 first, you extract the hop oils without boiling them off. It just seems to add more hop "depth" to the beer.

It all looks good. One adjustment you might play with is to move your FO hops and an ounce or two of your dry hops into a hop stand. After flame out, cool to 175F and add your hop stand hops with the lid on tight for 30 min. Then finish your cooling, pitch, ferment and dry hop as planned. I found I pick up more flavor plus aroma with the hop stand than with dry hopping alone. By cooling to 175 first, you extract the hop oils without boiling them off. It just seems to add more hop "depth" to the beer.

Thanks for the reply. So u say move 2 of the 4oz dryhop to a hopstand. Are u thinking still use 4oz to dryhop or just the remaining 2oz I didn't use. I did a hopstand/whirlpool once in my citra pale ale and def loved the outcome its a technique ill def stay with. I use a hop spider so I just cooled and stirred every 5min for 30min on that beer.

I would definitely go Mosaic over Cascade and second the comment about hop stand. For dry hopping I wouldn't really say that you could over do it but 4 is more than you need. I don't think you're going to feel like you missing anything with two either, so I'd say just do whatever you feel like.

I would definitely go Mosaic over Cascade and second the comment about hop stand. For dry hopping I wouldn't really say that you could over do it but 4 is more than you need. I don't think you're going to feel like you missing anything with two either, so I'd say just do whatever you feel like.

So whatabout a hopstand with .5oz ea of mosaic and simcoe then do a 1.5oz ea dry hop of Amarillo and citra.

If that's what you think will be best then go ahead. With the hops you have selected you can't really go wrong. That being said however, you and I and everyone else have slightly different tastes and different systems yield different results so its going to take experimentation to get what you want.

Hopstand and dry hop will do slightly different things. Neither will really bitter but the hopstand, as I understand it, is about providing a rich juicy component to round out the hops that have been isomerized. The dry hop is about aroma. Without doing a large number of test batches going through all the hops and figuring out which one or combination you are most partial to for each of bittering, flavor, aroma and the various facets of each I think your original idea of mixing equally for both seems fine. You probably will end up tailoring it later but for a first recipe I think you will be happy. I know in some sense you want to be told what is best but there is no real answer you just have to figure it out. You will get slightly different things from each of the hops but all of those are in the west coast IPA/ citrusy/ tropical spectrum. If you aren't that familiar the mosaic and simcoe are somewhat similar and are going to be more piney and tropical fruit, the citra and amarillo more tropical, mango (citra), peach (this is what I have heard about amarillo less experience with it than citra), and a little musty/ cat piss like. Hope this helps.

The same hops at different times do different things. FWH hops give you a "smoother" more rounded bittering. Early addition hops (30+ min boil) give you mostly straight bittering with less flavor and little aroma. Late addition hops (15, 10, 5 min or FO) give you less bittering, more flavor and some aroma. Hop stand hops (steeped at 170F-140F) give the most flavor, good aroma and no bittering. Dry hops give you mostly aroma, a little flavor and no bittering. Mix and match these additions to suit your taste. I think this is mostly correct but others may have more/better information.

One tip on hop stands. Put the hops in and put the lid on tight (weight it down) and leave them for 30-60 min. Do not stir. You want the flavor and aroma to be locked in.

Ok I think I'll use .5oz ea as a hopstand instead of just a FO addition then I'll pick two of the hops, prob Citra and Mosaic or Citra and Simcoe and do a 2-3oz dryhop with those. Thanks for all the feedback.

Back