Peach Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Cubbies. Huge win last night! I can't believe they are actually winning in extra innings this season.

I just realized we forgot to add the victory. It tasted good but def. thin. Is it possible to steep in a bit of water and add that while the secondary fermentation is going?

That actually sounds really good. I'm sure the women in your life might really like it. Who cares what the guys think?

M.

Decided not to add it and just keep it as is. I'm sure it will great.

I'll let you all know how it turns out.
:mug:

Mmmmmm. Can't wait to try this poolside grillin some food.
picture116m.jpg

By zjosey at 2012-07-06

Mmmmmm. Can't wait to try this poolside grillin some food.

Wow! Resurrection of a 4 year old thread. And coincidentally one that I commented in over four years ago. How'd your brew come out? I just exhausted my saturn peach tree, but I've got a lot of regular peaches about 1 or 2 weeks away from being ripe on a second tree. I'm seriously considering a peach beer with some fresh ones. I can only do so much jam, peach salsa, and canned peaches...

Wow! Resurrection of a 4 year old thread. And coincidentally one that I commented in over four years ago. How'd your brew come out? I just exhausted my saturn peach tree, but I've got a lot of regular peaches about 1 or 2 weeks away from being ripe on a second tree. I'm seriously considering a peach beer with some fresh ones. I can only do so much jam, peach salsa, and canned peaches...

The 5lbs of peaches I used must not have been very ripe because I taste absolutley no peach. Going to consume the keg quick to make room for a IIPA.

I can only do so much jam, peach salsa, and canned peaches...

Maybe it's the geographical influence, but the idea that one can have too many canned peaches sounds blasphemous to me. I say that only after realizing that I think the same way about blueberries, as I live on the border between NH and ME. Blueberries are everywhere right now.

I only wish we could grow peaches around here:)

Maybe it's the geographical influence, but the idea that one can have too many canned peaches sounds blasphemous to me. I say that only after realizing that I think the same way about blueberries, as I live on the border between NH and ME. Blueberries are everywhere right now.

I only wish we could grow peaches around here:)

I would be so unbelievably happy if we had an abundance of blueberries here.

But maybe it's similar to "the grass is greener on the other side." In this case, the fruit is sweeter on the other side. :mug:

Our Saturn peach tree is done, but our regular peaches are coming in strong. I've got the netting up so the birds won't be able to do as much damage to the fruit on the regular peach tree. I should be getting a decent harvest in the next week or so.

Anyone know if fresh peaches can just be peeled, pitted and frozen? I'd like to save some peaches for a brew, but don't want to can them with a bunch of sugar. I'd prefer to save them with no additives.

The 5lbs of peaches I used must not have been very ripe because I taste absolutley no peach. Going to consume the keg quick to make room for a IIPA.

Sorry to hear the peach flavor didn't come through. Can you provide some info on what you did? Did you peel them, cube them, pasteurize, etc? Also, were the peaches pretty firm?

Peaches were very firm and I that was the day I had the time...impatient as well. I washed and sanitized the outside then peeled. I diced up into cubes and let it sit at 70 for a couple weeks before I kegged. I think the main problem is the crappy peaches I bought. I was planning to buy a batch from Costco but wound up at Safeway right down the street. Still a very drinkable beer though!

Peaches were very firm and I that was the day I had the time...impatient as well. I washed and sanitized the outside then peeled. I diced up into cubes and let it sit at 70 for a couple weeks before I kegged. I think the main problem is the crappy peaches I bought. I was planning to buy a batch from Costco but wound up at Safeway right down the street. Still a very drinkable beer though!

Thanks for the info. I'll try to target the softer peaches for adding to a batch. I'm also thinking about making a puree out of the peaches to maximize the contact/surface area.

The dehydrator is an interesting idea. I have one that I use for making elk jerky but I haven't tried dehydrating fruits. I may have to try that, even if it's just for eating the peaches later. That might be another good way to preserve some. I've never heard/read about people using dehydrated fruits (other than orange peel) for brewing, but I bet someone has tried it before.

One thing i noticed while looking at the Peaches N Cream Hefeweizen recipe below (see link) is that the secondary fermentation time is SIX months at 35 degrees!!!

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/community/blog/show?title=recipe-of-the-week-peaches-n-cream-hefe

Sounds like time will indeed do nice things to the fruit profile (and I'd have to say hefe's tend to do well with extra time in general).
I was hoping to brew the peaches n cream for Thanksgiving... but now I'm thinking I may have to brew 10 gallons and split it into two batches, one for Thanksgiving, and the other I'll have to buy a fridge off of craigslist for and see how it turns out during the ski season! (need an extra fridge anyway) Although it's rather annoying that one has to tie up so much fridge space for up to six months to get the best results! I guess that's what it takes to take first place in the NHC competition! Good thing SHMBO agrees with everything I say when it comes to brewing, or maybe I have that the wrong way around... I've got me a winner in that department.

We'll see; if we brew two batches I'll eventually post the results. One thing is for sure... I have way too many peaches to not brew a peach beer this weekend.

To be continued...

Peach contributes A light fruit flavor... from my experience go a minimum of 10lbs of peach 5lb in flame out & 5 puree (treated with campden) in post ferm. let that rock and roll for another 30 days ... rack to secondary... about the only time i say secondary.... check gravity after 2 weeks ad again in another 2weeeks and proceed to bottle or keg... apricot extract does help bring peach up... for some reason peach is weak in beer, needs 10 lb + of good peaches,

Hi folks. SWMBO has requested a peach wheat beer. I'm thinking of doing something similar to this recipe. Just wondering if there have been any recent developments in the field of peach-wheat brewing?

Also, any suggestions on the most painless way to get peaches into and out of a glass carboy? Or is it worth picking up another bucket to use as a secondary for this recipe?

Latest posts

Back