Oak Aged Imperial beer-wine hybrid ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmex41

Reaction score
Brewing this one up tomorrow once my son goes to bed.

15 lb 2 row
1lb Munich (20*l)
1/2 lb honey malt
1/2lb carapils
1/2lb corn sugar

PacMan Yeast

1oz Magnum (12.2%) 90 min
1 oz Columbus (15.2%) 60 min
1 oz Chinook (13%) 45 min
1 oz simcoe (14.4%) 20 min
1 oz Nelson Sauvin (11.4%) 10 min
1 oz Nelson Sauvin (11.4%) 5 min
1 oz ea: Chinook, Simcoe, Nelson Sauvin, Mosaic at knockout steep
1oz Chinook, 1 oz Simcoe, 2 oz Nelson dry hop

At high krausen add 1/2 gallon white grape juice

rack to secondary and add 1/2 gallon white grape juice
add oak spiral (aged in homemade white wine first) and a fresh oak spiral
dry hop about a week before cold crashing.

Est stats before white grape juice
5 gallon batch size
OG 1.091
160 ibu
8 srm
1.017 fg
9.7%

I've done session ales, hopburst Ipas, a 3.8%abv honey blonde ale, a dozen clone brews. Time to go all out and see what I can do as a home brewer.

If I'm gonna have wine, its going to be a white. Not big on reds. And I can't get enough nelson Sauvin. I added the other hops to balance the white wine fruity flavors of the NS hops in a west coast style hop bill

I'm very disappointed in myself with this brew. I ended up with 4gallons with like a gallon of it being trub in the fermenter. So I topped off with a lb of dme and a gallon of water and I will be re doing this beer very soon as I had intended. I need to find a house to brew in, this apartment brewing isn't working out for me. I can't get consistency when I mash and sparge in the kitchen and boil on the patio with no protection from the wind which can effect boil off etc.

I did hit my OG but like 1.5 gallons short on expected volume.

I'm still going to proceed as planned, but my expectations won't be quite as high for this one.

And once I get my own house, hopefully once the lease is up in July, ill brew this one again.

1398115804995.jpg1398115817765.jpg

Just added the first 1/2 gallon of white grape juice. Wow it has a gravity of 1.070! I didn't expect it to be that high. I'll be adding champagne yeast in the secondary for sure.

First hydro sample.
Estimated 1.102 OG with grape juice additions
1.014 Final Gravity.
That's, what, 86% apparent attenuation?
Brewer's friend puts it at 11.55% with the standard abv formula or 12.7% with the advanced formula for high gravity beers.
It's pretty hot, temps got up to about 70 before I put it in a water bath to keep it lower, around 64.

1398966146719.jpg

I'll probably leave it in primary until next weekend, then I'll buy a wide mouth plastic carboy so I can put oak spirals in and be able to get them out afterwards. It's gonna age for a bit so hopefully some of the heat can mellow out, then I'll dry hop at the end of the oaking stage and probably do a week long cold crash, as I usually do.

If I told you this beer was 12.7% abv you would think I was lying. So easy to drink and over 200 theoretical ibus. Lost over a gallon to the 5oz whole leaf dry hops I used. This will be a regular brew for me.
The beer is actually quite lighter in color than the picture suggests. My phones camera isn't that great.

1401265350637.jpg

My inner engineer is bothering me...

If you started with 5 gallons if 1.091 wort and added 1 gallon of grape juice at 1.070, wouldn't that actually bring down your adjusted OG?

((5 gal)(1.091) + (1 gal)(1.070))/6 = 1.087 OG.

With a FG at 1.014 I think that would put you at 9.6%, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I believe when I added the grape juice I based them off 6 gallon batch size.
The grape juice has 40g of sugar per serving. 8 servings per 1/2 gallon is 320g, which its 11.2 oz, or 22.4oz sugar added per gallon.

Id have to look at my notes, but I'm pretty sure I figured what my OG would have been at 6 gal. Should have been around 1.102
I used the brewer's friend app, and the alternate method for determining abv. The app says its more accurate at higher gravities.

I could be wrong. Either way, its a fantastic brew, and I will brew this one again, with more careful attention to my volumes and gravities throughout the mash and boil process.

Latest posts

Back