Need a malt to blend with Maris Otter in a stout recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I really want to make a stout beer for my wife but I need 10 lbs of Maris Otter and I only have 6 lbs. Can anyone recommend another malt to use to make up the missing 4 lbs of Maris Otter? The brew shop is closed today and tomorrow and I really want to brew either it today or tomorrow with an extra day off. I have pale malt, two row, Vienna and Simpson's golden promise malt that I can use to blend in with the maris otter.

Thanks,

I would say the golden promise, I am partial to GP after a scotch ale I made with it. Leaves a nice bready sweetness behind. I think my first bulk purchase will be a 55lb bag of GP.

If you don't want any sweetness or you know your wife is very very sensitive to sweetness I'd the go with the Vienna. Either way I'll bet the base malts will be hiding behind the other toasty roasty chocolatey malts anyway.

Brewed this again today and used up the last of my maris otter. Unfortunately, a coil in my wort chiller burst open that ruined the whole batch. Now I am out of maris otter. Can anyone suggest another good base malt to use instead of maris otter? I have pale malt, two row, Vienna and Simpson's golden promise malt that I can use for an oatmeal stout.

SAM_1285.jpg

The golden promise would be cool for an oatmeal/sweet stout, if you want a RIS or dry stout I'd go for 2row or pale ale malt simply because the roast or hops will overpower even golden promise(also dry stouts you wouldn't want much residual sweetness). This makes me want to do my next oatmeal stout with golden promise and golden naked oats.

Here is the recipe I used today with the MO. Sorry for not posting this earlier in the thread. It may help with your recommendations.

20 lbs maris otter
4 lbs flaked oats
1.5 lbs chocolate malt
1.5 lbs roasted barley
8 oz black patent malt
8 oz crystal malt
8 oz victory malt
2 oz chinook hops 60 min.
estimated sg 1.072
45 ibus
mash at 155

This is for my wife's birthday in 3 months. She loves higher gravity stouts. Any other suggestions on the recipe would be great.

That looks like a killer recipe. I have a stout I've been making over and over again for years and I've been looking for something different to mix it up. I think I have to brew this recipe because it looks awesome.

How did that happen? Did the coil freeze with water inside? I always worry about that happening to me. I keep my stuff in the garage all winter.

The temps in the garage have dipped below 32 F a few times but I thought having the chiller inside the brew kettle for 20 minutes of the boil would have melted any small amount of ice creating blockage. I am going to be storing my chillers indoor from now on. I will also test them prior to using them in the future.

Here is the recipe I used today with the MO. Sorry for not posting this earlier in the thread. It may help with your recommendations.

20 lbs maris otter
4 lbs flaked oats
1.5 lbs chocolate malt
1.5 lbs roasted barley
8 oz black patent malt
8 oz crystal malt
8 oz victory malt
2 oz chinook hops 60 min.
estimated sg 1.072
45 ibus
mash at 155

This is for my wife's birthday in 3 months. She loves higher gravity stouts. Any other suggestions on the recipe would be great.

In your OP you said you used 10 lbs of MO but the recipe shows 20 lbs. The total grain bill is 28.5 lbs of grain!

In your OP you said you used 10 lbs of MO but the recipe shows 20 lbs. The total grain bill is 28.5 lbs of grain!

This is the recipe for 10 gallons when my original was just 5 gallons. My wife and friends liked this so much that I want to make 10 gallons next time. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

Looking forward to brewing this. Glad we got the details straighted out.
Is the MO amount the only part of the grain bill that I need to adjust? I do 6 gal batches.

Looking forward to brewing this. Glad we got the details straighted out.
Is the MO amount the only part of the grain bill that I need to adjust? I do 6 gal batches.

My original grain bill was for 5 gallons and had 1/2 of the amount for each ingredient listed. This ended up giving me 5.5 gallons at the end of the boil and into the fermentor.

Back