A modest proposal, in support of our friend...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
magno said:
BP-

Ive got a couple questions regarding your tolerance:

Can I use my mill to crush the grains? There was mention earlier that dust from the rollers could lead to "contamination". Would blowing the rollers off with an air compressor be good enough?

Also as far as yeast goes, would Nottingham work, or is it necessary to get the GF yeast?

What is the final word on Malto-Dextrine?

Thats all ... for now.

I think your mill would be fine. The dust can be an issue, but I don't think I am that bad. Same with yeast, I think a regular yeast will be fine. I admit this is all new to me, but I am not having too much problem with secondary gluten.

Thank God I'm not a lab mouse. I'm just a guy living in a coal mine with a bunch of Camel smoking miners testing a line of glow in the dark asbestos pillows.

Alright, experiment #1 is bubbling away. This recipe was given to me by one of the employees at Northern Brewer. I changed up a few things and I'm really happy with the wort results. I added the dark candi sugar to help obtain the black color. The roasted quinoa did add some color, but mostly it added a roasty flavor that should be really good. The original recipe called for roasted buckwheat (uncrushed gains), but I couldn't find any in my area so I went with quinoa instead. The buckwheat flour is in there to provide the body and mouthfeel.

The OG came out a lot higher than expected. The sorghum syrup I'm using must be higher in sugar than I thought. I did not use the sorghum from Northern Brewer, instead I used the stuff they sell at the grocery store (the sugar comes from the cane, instead of the grain).

I'll let you know in a couple of weeks how it turns out. :mug:

GF Stout (1 gallon)

Boil volume: 1.25 gallons

0.20 lb Quinoa, roasted (150.0 SRM)
1.20 lb Sorghum Syrup (4.0 SRM)
0.20 lb Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM)
0.10 lb Buckwheat, flour (2.0 SRM)
0.11 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min)
0.11 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (20 min)
0.25 Pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.068 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Color: 32.7 SRM (Black)
Bitterness: 16.7 IBU

Notes
Buckwheat flour goes into the boil (60 min) to simulate flaked barley.

Roasted Quinoa:

To approximate Roasted Barley: Roast the quinoa as follows:
1. Pre-heat oven to 400F
2. Place grain on a baking sheet and spread evenly
3. Put in center of oven
4. Let roast for 5 minutes, then stir every minute for a total roasting time of 15-20 min
5. Let cool completely

Steep the roasted quinoa as a specialty grain.

I'm hoping to start some small-scale experimentation in a week or so. Gotta get some "regular" beer going, then it'll be time to start playing with sorghum, etc.

Me too, I am still researching the aspect of finding something to use as an adjunct. I'm getting ready to roll on a recipe here real soon. The quinoa and buckwheat are good leads.

Driftless Brewer said:
Do you guys know what styles are you going to attempt?

If this stout goes well, I think I'll try for a saison next.

I'm going to go for something like an ESB. I think some good hop bitterness will help quell that cloying sweetness I tasted in the New Grist sample I had.

Question--I'm curious about buckwheat. Could you mash 100% buckwheat instead of using the sorghum syrup? I'm wondering about roasting various degrees of buckwheat and raw sorghum (maybe make something like a crystal malt) and try putting those roasted "malts" in with a buckwheat based mash.

Question--I'm curious about buckwheat. Could you mash 100% buckwheat instead of using the sorghum syrup? I'm wondering about roasting various degrees of buckwheat and raw sorghum (maybe make something like a crystal malt) and try putting those roasted "malts" in with a buckwheat based mash.

Here are a few of sites you should look at: Site 1, Site 2, Site 3

I thought I heard somewhere that using it as the majority of your grain bill can lead to some "undesirable" flavors. Having never tried it myself, I don't really know what "undesirable" means. But the nutty, wheatlike flavors described in site 1 where he used buckwheat as 5% of the bill sounds pretty tasty. I think it would definately be worth experimenting in small batches.

I just found this information at www.sillyak.com

Sorghum makes a good base malt. The diastatic power of sorghum malt is quite low (compared to barley), so you can not use a lot of roasted malts or adjuncts with it (15% seems to be the upper limit). Sorghum malt needs to be ground quite finely to get a good rate of conversion. Remember, you will be adding rice hulls for a filter bed, so you can grind the grain very fine.

Buckwheat also makes a reasonable malt but imparts a strong buckwheat flavour to the beer if used at too high a rate. I have found up to 30% additions is fine. I have found a better use for this malt is to use it as a roast malt, to give your beer colour and flavour. It has a husk and the grain is softer than sorghum, so grind it much like barley to preserve the husk.

Driftless Brewer said:
Do you guys know what styles are you going to attempt?

If this stout goes well, I think I'll try for a saison next.

Im ultimately going for a stout as well. The test batches will probably start labor day weekend with a pale ale to see what I can do with the ingredients.

Did this thread just stop or was it finished somewhere else?

I have a sister with this problem and would like to know the results.

Did this thread just stop or was it finished somewhere else?

I have a sister with this problem and would like to know the results.

I think it just stopped because Brewpastor's "problem" was a false alarm.

Shame on us for not continuing our quest, this is something that really should be worked on.

Let's do dis!!

Friends, ... Given the easy availablity of gluten-free yeast and sorghum syrup from Northern Brewer, I propose that we each develop our own gluten-free recipes, to brew and to share, ...Who's in?

So is there a "great", "favored", "excellent", "awesome" ...(you get the picture) recipe for gluten free beer that you all have come to know and love?

So is there a "great", "favored", "excellent", "awesome" ...(you get the picture) recipe for gluten free beer that you all have come to know and love?

Brewpastor to this day is still trying to develop a recipe. I know that several people are brewing gf beers.

This is the only thread I know of:

[thread]75223[/thread]

Brewpastor to this day is still trying to develop a recipe. I know that several people are brewing gf beers.

This is the only thread I know of:

[thread]75223[/thread]

Cool, saw that one and grabbed it. Seen several posts related to attempts but none that come back and rate the quality but that could just be because I am not navigating the site well. But it must be doable, there are several commercial beers, Redbridge is a good one by Anheiser. So I'm thinking we can do it. I'm going to stick w/ gluten free brewing and try to come up with one. By the way, I did see a recipe for a psuedo-Budweiser on this site. You think there is a psuedo-Redbridge recipe somewhere?

By the way, I did see a recipe for a psuedo-Budweiser on this site. You think there is a psuedo-Redbridge recipe somewhere?

I apologize, but I truly only half pay attention to GF Brewing. I find it interesting, and read all of the threads, but I don't retain the information that they provide.

A Google Seach for GF Redbridge Recipe turned up some information that you may be able to sort through:

[ame=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=gluten+free+redbridge+recipe]gluten free redbridge recipe - Google Search[/ame]

Good luck...I'm sure BrewPastor will be posting about GF brewing.

I apologize, ... A Google Seach for ... gluten free redbridge recipe - Google Search ...

Thankx and no need for apologies. I found some similar hits previously but will go through these. After posting this question I decided to go back to find the Budweiser knockoff recipe and substitute the malt w/ sorghum malt extract because I know Redbridge is a sorghum base created by Anheiser so why not give that a try. The other ingredients listed are all listed in other GF recipies I've collected.

...a friend of mine has found they suffer from celiac ... this will help her out as well.

Thankx a lot, I've seen and bookmarked some of these myself. I'm going to use all the recipies I've collected as a base and experiment on my own keeping records. When I come up with an excellent batch I'll post it here. It may be a while, apparently fermenting is going to take a while.

Back