Milk stout, minus lactose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demus

Reaction score
Hello,
I was shooting for a sweet, creamy stout but I'm out of lactose. I decided to try a pound of cara-Munich 3 and an extra pound of flaked barley. Do you think that will get me close to the effect of a pound of lactose? Think I should also mash a little warmer?

Seems to me that would get you to your goal. Obviously, not going to be a milk stout w/o lactose, but I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. Maybe drop the Caramunich back to .5 lb, as a full pound might be a little over the top, and mash 156-158 and see how it turns out. Sounds like it'll be a nice brew.

Isn't Lactose supposed to sweeten the brew by being a non-fermentable sugar? Is there anything in cara-Munich 3 or in flaked barley which provides a similar effect?

CaraMunich is a caramel malt, so that will sweeten it and the flaked barley will add some body. It won't be the same as if he used lactose, but his goal was to have a sweet, creamy stout, so that will get him part of the way there. In hindsight, flaked oats, rather than the flaked barley might have been a better idea to get the creamy mouthfeel he was looking for.

Back