Input on my dubbel-ish recipe please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamilt22

Reaction score
OK so I was drinking a DFH Immort Ale the other day and loved it. Inspired, I decided to think up a similar recipe to make in time for December or January. Here's how I think I want it to go:

- Standard dubbel grist of pils, aromatic, special B, Munich, maybe a few others - I'm still thinking about it
- Some smoked malt - about a half pound? (this will be a 5 gallon batch)
- Add Juniper berries to the boil at some point! Also dry-juniper the secondary perhaps?
- About a pound of maple syrup at flame-out
- Throw a vanilla bean in the secondary.
- Also age it on oak chips for a few weeks.
- And WLP 530 (Westmalle's yeast strain) or 500 maybe...
- I will bitter this thing with Galenas and flavor with Chinooks. ~60 IBUs. I like these hops because of their herbal/earthiness.
- OG = 1.075, FG = 1.020 - 1.025

Now, I know I'm supposed to use sugars. I don't want to because I want a really full-bodied beer. I know that the FG is high, and I want that too - I will probably mash a bit on the warm side, and reduce the first bit of runnings to a syrup! Not very much like a dubble, I know, but I wasn't sure what to call it. It's also not even close to what DFH makes obviously, but I don't want to make this and then wait a whole year+ before it's drinkable :drunk: I emailed DFH about their Immort Ale recipe a few times, but I haven't heard from them so what they have on their website is all I have to go on.

So my questions would be:

1. When would you add juniper berries?
2. Would you boil a vanilla bean too? Or just one in the secondary?
3. Is this recipe a disaster waiting to be brewed?

Any feedback or suggestions would be awesome!

I would add the Juniper berries at flameout, go easy on them and if it isn't enough add more in secondary.

The vanilla is delicate, so I would add it to the secondary.

If you want it to be really thick drop the maple syrup which is almost completely fermentable, I think you've got enough going on in this one already.

Are you thinking of using peat smoked malt (as Immortale does) or German rauchmalt? The peat malt is pretty assertive so .5 lbs will be more than enough, I doubt you would even taste .5 lbs of the German in such a complex beer.

My personal take is that there is too much going on in there, but then I'm not a big fan of Immortale. At the very least, why not go for a simpler grain bill and drop the finishing hops to let the special ingredients shine through?

Back