how much is to much? Cocoa Nibs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_Thadeus_Toad

Reaction score
I am brewing a chocolate porter. I know a lot of people have strong opinions on using powder or nibs to get the chocolaty taste. i have decided to go with nibs but now I am trying to determine how much to use. I plan on blanching the nibs and then adding them to the secondary for 7 days, but I have not figured out how much. I see a lot of recipes calling for 4-6oz. for a 5 gal batch for a nice subtle chocolate taste. but I am wondering what 8-10oz would taste like. has any one ever tried that much in a porter? what were the results? i figure anything over 10 oz would probably turn it in to cocoapuffs beer. I want the chocolate flavor to be upfront but not ridiculously over the top. below is my recipe.

Thank you for any and all responses.

4lb 6 row
4lb 2 row
.5lb munich
.5lb crystal 40
.5lb crystal 80
.5lb crystal 120
1.5lb british chocolate wheat malt
.5lb roasted barley
.5lb cararoma
.25lb oats flaked
.25lb lactose

1oz northern brewer at 60
.5oz fuggle at 20
.5oz fuggle at 10

1332 northern ale yeast

I used 4 oz nibs (first soaked in pinot noir, then dumped the whole thing in primary and left it two weeks before kegging) in my oatmeal stout and I think any more would be too much and detract from the other flavors. It's very balanced, even on the chocolate forward side if you ask me. It's a fairly dry beer, so that may make a difference.

I did 8 oz. in a robust porter, I think it could win an award. But it is a rather roasty porter, so that figures into it.

Latest posts

Back