Honeybrown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virginbrewman

Reaction score
I am very new, just made my first batch of bluemoon and is actually really good. I am looking to make another batch now. Wondering if anyone has any good recipes for a Honeybrown similar to a JW Dundees. Thanks!!!!

Dude,

Are you 'whole graining' or using extract?
Lucky, or just 'naturally inspired' to have a real good tasting
'first batch'.
I have a recipe for ya, my favorite,
but it is DME and speciality grains.

And I was wondering about your Blue Moon recipe.
If, that is, it is extract,
which is all I am capable of now.

Later...
J. Winters von Knife

Yeah it is extract and was pretty simple. The owner at a homebrew store helped me out, however that store is about 1.5 hours away. I will post it on here later, I am at work and do not have it with me. I think I have been very lucky with this batch, but at the same time when you follow someones recipe its hard to mess up. I will post this afternoon.

Dundee Honey brown Lager is my wife's favorite right now, anyone with a close recipe it would be much appreciated

Ben

Pottsville? Just up the road.
Here is my unofficial stab at the recipe.

8.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 78.34 %
0.75 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 6.91 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.61 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.30 %
0.25 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.30 %
0.25 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.30 %
0.10 lb Naked Golden Oats (3.0 SRM) Grain 0.92 %
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 15.6 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (15 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
0.25 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 2.30 %
5.00 gal Deer Park (R), Bottled Water Water
1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028) [Starter 125 ml] Yeast-Ale

Did you brew it yet? If so, how did it turn out? I just ordered the northern brewer honey brown ale and plan to use cali lager to see how this turns out hope to brew it in the next week or so. anyone brew this?

Ziggybrew do you add the honey at flameout or bottling?
Ben

I haven't brewed this recipe yet.
They say to add honey after flameout and before 180 degrees to pasteurize it. I do it that way even though I don't 100% agree that it needs to be pasteurized. Honey is known for it's antibacterial qualities. I would trust either way.

If you add it at bottling, make sure you take honey's sugar into account before adding to much priming sugar and blowing up some bottles.
I don't have any experience figuring that out. Some guy has a chart about carbonating with sugars around here. But I can't find it again. I just either keg or add 1oz/gal of dextrose.

Latest posts

Back