hefeweizen with 2 row instead of pilsner malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veedo

Reaction score
anyone ever brew a hefe with 2 row base malt instead of pilsner malt? how did it turn out, and was there a major difference? thanks!

Biggest difference is 60min boil vs 90min boil.

Go for it.

sweet. im thinking a 50/50 blend of white wheat and 2 row, shoot for 15ish ibus with Hallertau whole leaf, wlp300 with a starter, ferment at 67? what you think?

White/red wheat does make a difference. They're both good, just different. Red wheat (sometimes just labeled wheat, i.e., not labeled white wheat) is used in more traditional hefes.

Ratio, hops & yeast look great. I'd ferment cooler if possible. I like 62-64, but 67 will still be good.

White/red wheat does make a difference. They're both good, just different. Red wheat (sometimes just labeled wheat, i.e., not labeled white wheat) is used in more traditional hefes.

Ratio, hops & yeast look great. I'd ferment cooler if possible. I like 62-64, but 67 will still be good.

i do have some belgian wheat from williamsbrewing that needs to be used up. it must be red wheat? think i should go that route instead of the white? maybe ill blend the white and red.

Yeah, both are great, just different. A blend would be nice.

Back