Got a BMC fan in the family

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsanonymous

Reaction score
My Wife's Grandfather is a sworn BMC drinker but, on a recent trip to visit, (we live in NKY) he found that he really enjoyed the "light" beer at The Hofbrau Haus. Does anyone have an all grain recipe that might come close to this?

I've brought bottles to him of some of my other beers, specifically an IPA that I gave to him on Christmas which is still sitting in his garage. I want to brew something that he'll actually like.

Cheers!

Hofbrau's "light" is their helles (which in German means "light"....), any helles recipe will do, but you'd be attempting a very difficult lager style, nowhere for off flavors to hide. Look into a cream ale maybe if you're not set up to lager, keep the bittering hops low. Pay attention to your water if you're doing all grain (RO with calcium chloride addition). Definitely pay attention to your fermentation temps with lighter styles.

I disagree, my BMC friends were not fans of this brew.

A kolsch recipe could do the trick as well OP. But as stated above you are definitely upping the difficulty level of your brewing with a style like this.

Of all the huge beers and hop laden IPAs I have made, the kolsch that is currently on tap, is probably my biggest source of brewing pride. Here is a link to a Jamil recipe, there is a podcast talking about kolsch recipe formulation as well.

http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/JamilsKolsch.htm

http://beerdujour.com/jamilsrecipes.htm for the podcast

Nothing to add but wanted to say hi! I live in Cincinnati. I love going to the Hofbrauhaus when I can. I usually bring out of town guests also as it's something different than normal bars.

Thanks everyone for the good feedback! Ill probably try Jamil's Kolsch, thanks xpertskir for the link. Time to break in the mini fridge and the new temp controller!

Thanks everyone for the good feedback! Ill probably try Jamil's Kolsch, thanks xpertskir for the link. Time to break in the mini fridge and the new temp controller!

Ferment low, I ferment 56-58 for the first few days with WLP029, and then bring it up to low 60's until its close to finishing, then up to 68 or so for a D-rest.

Take your time, patience will be rewarded. After the above procedure, I cold conditioned at 45-55 for 5 weeks, and after almost 2 weeks in the keezer its still getting better.

Latest posts

Back