Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > founders red's rye ipa clone
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2009, 09:18 PM   #11
mb2696
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: charlottesville, va
Posts: 438
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TH- View Post
Quick question, who did you email? was it just info@... off the website or was it someone directly? I would like to email them about a different beer and I wondered who gave you the info you got.

Thanks
i just emailed info@ it took a few days, but they did eventually respond
__________________
mb2696 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2010, 04:51 AM   #12
zrule
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zrule's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 186
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Red Rye PA

Did this brew ever get done? Also, does anyone have clone for Founders Double Trouble, another GREAT brew from Founders

__________________
zrule is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #13
mb2696
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: charlottesville, va
Posts: 438
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrule View Post
Did this brew ever get done? Also, does anyone have clone for Founders Double Trouble, another GREAT brew from Founders
No, I unfortunately didn't ever get to it. So much to brew and so little time... It's still on my to-do list, but it may be a while. When I get to it, I will definitely post the results though.
__________________
mb2696 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 02:45 AM   #14
Apendecto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rockwood, MI
Posts: 458
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

If this ever gets made, I'd love to hear how it turns out.

__________________
Apendecto is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 03:02 AM   #15
mb2696
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: charlottesville, va
Posts: 438
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apendecto View Post
If this ever gets made, I'd love to hear how it turns out.
Still planning to do it, but haven't yet, partially because I haven't finalized the recipe yet. I emailed this recipe to the same guy:

Code:
GRIST - OG = 15.5p, COLOR = 13 SRM
====================================
67% US 2-row
15% US rye malt
6% dark crystal
4% medium crystal
5% carapils
3% aromatic
 
HOPS - 70 IBU total
================================
1 oz Perle @ 60 min (30 IBU)
1 oz Amarillo @ 35 min (25 IBU)
1 oz Amarillo @ 15 min (15 IBU)
1 oz Amarillo @ 0 min
1 oz Amarillo @ dry-hop
 
WY1056 American Ale, ferment @ 64F
and got this response:

Quote:
Lower the rye and increase the carapils. Get less IBUs from the 60 min hop charge and make it up by increasing your 30 min charge. Triple your dryhop and I think you are real close. Oh Yeah and ferment that at 70F. Good Luck!
I'm fine with adjusting the grist and bittering, but 3oz amarillo DH seems like way too much for that beer. also 70f seems too high - i'd expect a banana bomb. any thoughts? i'll probably just have to do it and report back.
__________________

mb2696 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 04:19 AM   #16
zrule
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zrule's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 186
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Red RyePA

Ok, Newbie here. but since I really like this beer, I have tried this as my first all grain beer (sixth beer over all)

I used the ingredients found on one of the posts.

8# 2-row
2# rye
.75 caramel 80l
.50 carapils
.50 caramel 40l
.25 aromatic

1 oz perle 60 min
1 oz amarillo 20 min
1 oz amarillo 10 min
1 oz amarillo 5 min
1 oz amarill 0 min

I entered it all in Beersmith. Ran it just like the brewsheet (newbie remember)
The mash temp was calculated at 158. this seemed to be a bit high for me, but blindly followed directions. The mash started at 160 so cooled it to exactly 158 and lost on one degree in the hour. I missed the preboil gravity by .010! Wort gravity ended at 1.058. Estimated post boil was 1.063 (beersmith again).
I did this on the 21st, and lots of activity in the fermenter tonight. The smells coming from the fermenter are amazing. The brewsheet says to ferment in primary for 4 days then dry hop 2oz of amarillo for 7, then bottle. For the dry hop I have plugs. Should I just through these in or use an infuser?

I won't be offended by any suggestions on what I could have done.

__________________
zrule is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 04:32 AM   #17
oldschool
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: southern IN
Posts: 738
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Just my thoughts...I would recomend swapping the quantities of the caramel malts. .75 40L .5 80L. Let us know how it turned out though. Since he said that the gravity is around 1.062 then i would think your mash temps should be fairly low in order to hit the 6.5% abv.

__________________
oldschool is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #18
mb2696
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: charlottesville, va
Posts: 438
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrule View Post
Ok, Newbie here. but since I really like this beer, I have tried this as my first all grain beer (sixth beer over all)

I used the ingredients found on one of the posts.

8# 2-row
2# rye
.75 caramel 80l
.50 carapils
.50 caramel 40l
.25 aromatic

1 oz perle 60 min
1 oz amarillo 20 min
1 oz amarillo 10 min
1 oz amarillo 5 min
1 oz amarill 0 min

I entered it all in Beersmith. Ran it just like the brewsheet (newbie remember)
The mash temp was calculated at 158. this seemed to be a bit high for me, but blindly followed directions. The mash started at 160 so cooled it to exactly 158 and lost on one degree in the hour. I missed the preboil gravity by .010! Wort gravity ended at 1.058. Estimated post boil was 1.063 (beersmith again).
I did this on the 21st, and lots of activity in the fermenter tonight. The smells coming from the fermenter are amazing. The brewsheet says to ferment in primary for 4 days then dry hop 2oz of amarillo for 7, then bottle. For the dry hop I have plugs. Should I just through these in or use an infuser?

I won't be offended by any suggestions on what I could have done.
I don't use beersmith so I'm not sure what you mean by "the mash temp was calculated at 158." I would say this is too high and your FG may not end up where you want it to be. I would take a hydrometer reading to check before you start dryhopping (which I would do regardless...)
__________________
mb2696 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #19
Apendecto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rockwood, MI
Posts: 458
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2696 View Post
Still planning to do it, but haven't yet, partially because I haven't finalized the recipe yet. I emailed this recipe to the same guy:

Code:
GRIST - OG = 15.5p, COLOR = 13 SRM
====================================
67% US 2-row
15% US rye malt
6% dark crystal
4% medium crystal
5% carapils
3% aromatic
 
HOPS - 70 IBU total
================================
1 oz Perle @ 60 min (30 IBU)
1 oz Amarillo @ 35 min (25 IBU)
1 oz Amarillo @ 15 min (15 IBU)
1 oz Amarillo @ 0 min
1 oz Amarillo @ dry-hop
 
WY1056 American Ale, ferment @ 64F
and got this response:



I'm fine with adjusting the grist and bittering, but 3oz amarillo DH seems like way too much for that beer. also 70f seems too high - i'd expect a banana bomb. any thoughts? i'll probably just have to do it and report back.
That's great! As for the ferm temp, those guys use huge tanks which let them go high. Do your standard 65 degrees or so and I bet it turn out great. Good work!
__________________
Apendecto is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #20
slowbie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 640
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2696 View Post
Still planning to do it, but haven't yet, partially because I haven't finalized the recipe yet. I emailed this recipe to the same guy:

Code:
GRIST - OG = 15.5p, COLOR = 13 SRM
====================================
67% US 2-row
15% US rye malt
6% dark crystal
4% medium crystal
5% carapils
3% aromatic
 
HOPS - 70 IBU total
================================
1 oz Perle @ 60 min (30 IBU)
1 oz Amarillo @ 35 min (25 IBU)
1 oz Amarillo @ 15 min (15 IBU)
1 oz Amarillo @ 0 min
1 oz Amarillo @ dry-hop
 
WY1056 American Ale, ferment @ 64F
and got this response:



I'm fine with adjusting the grist and bittering, but 3oz amarillo DH seems like way too much for that beer. also 70f seems too high - i'd expect a banana bomb. any thoughts? i'll probably just have to do it and report back.
FWIW I've been using 1056 at 68 with great results, but my first reaction was what Apendecto said.
__________________
slowbie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Founders Harvest Ale darkstar79 General Beer Discussion 28 10-12-2011 04:03 PM
Founders Breakfast Stout Clone ameadrat All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 11-26-2009 12:20 PM
Weird thing with Founders Red's Rye PA... -TH- Commercial Brew Discussion 0 09-01-2009 06:08 PM
Founders red's rye Weizenheimer Extract Brewing 4 02-06-2009 02:52 AM
What makes red's red? SuperiorBrew All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 11-03-2007 03:30 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS