Experiment.....?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluphil52

Reaction score
I'm a new BIAB brewer, done 4 boils now.
Had a thought today and just wanted to see if anyone has tried it ?
I was gonna mix my 2 worts together.
Once is a cascade beer and the other citra. They are approaching 4 weeks in the primary.
Now I was thinking of mixing them together?!? Even just a couple of bottles. Has anyone tried this?!?

Blending beers is a pretty common thing to do from what I understand. The thing to watch out for is avoiding oxidation in your method of mixing.

I have a beer that didn't quite turn out right. I'm thinking of mixing them together. My plan is to draw a small amount from each keg, then measure several different ratios of the two, then taste test them to see if various mixes are better or worse than the original. Then I'm going to use the keg to keg transfer method using CO2 to push the beer through.

In my case I'm doing this because in an attempt to copy a recipe I let color be the determinant of how much dark grains (Special B) to use. Turns out it was way too much. So I'm going to mix with a very light colored and light flavored ale to blend back the darker one.

Mine are still in the primary fermenter bins.
So would u syphon them into a new bin first? Before I bottle it?

The more you transfer, the higher your chance of oxidation. The answer is yes, but as carefully as you can with no splashing. If you have access to CO2 you can purge the pail or carboy before you transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you can simultaneously rack each vessel into one bottling bucket or keg that would be ideal.

Curious to know what the recipes are that you want to blend them instead of enjoying them separately?

Sent from the Commune

I'm fairly new to making my own recipes. I've done half a dozen BIAB all grain brew days. One is a cream ale that I totally botched. lol. It's some kind of a lightly hopped pale ale. I really just made the recipe up by playing with numbers in Beersmith. It's cleanly fermented, but quite unremarkable otherwise. The other is an Arrogant Bastard clone. It's 86% 2-row and 14% special B. It's actually amazingly rich and complex. It just has a bit of a bite to the flavor that I'd like to tone down.

Back