ExBeeriment: blasted blonde yeast split

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polyphaeon

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've done a few other split batch experiments and thought I would try something more subtle: Belgian yeast vs Belgian yeast.

Summary: 3864 (Canadian/Belgian) vs 1214 (Belgian Abbey) - can't taste any difference.

Recipe: Belgian Blonde*
10.5 Gallons.
22# Pils
6oz Goldings "Burst" at 20min
yeast nutient and Irish moss.
Kegged

I have pictures of the process because at the time I thought it was exciting. I didnt watch the fermentation so I can't really comment on any differences there. They are both the same color and both incredibly clear. I've sampled thoroughly but can't pin down any difference in taste. Same with several (non super sensor friends).

This confirms my gut that the differences in the strains is trumped by fermentation conditions**. I am going to bulk up a ton of yeast and think I will just use 3787 as my house (and only) strain.

*slightly out of style bc of too low ABV.
edit: **I've done a belgian pale ale in and out of a ferm chamber and there was a difference there, much less harsh.

Back