Dry hopping with Simcoe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmcclure

Reaction score
I've made a few batches with Simcoe as a dry hop. I find that it imparts a very noticeable sweetness. Almost a melon flavor. It's ok but I havent figured out quite what blends with this. Anybody else have a similar sense? Am I ascribing the sweetness erroneously to the Simcoe? What grains or hops do you find that blend well with Simcoe?

I've made a few batches with Simcoe as a dry hop. I find that it imparts a very noticeable sweetness. Almost a melon flavor. It's ok but I havent figured out quite what blends with this. Anybody else have a similar sense? Am I ascribing the sweetness erroneously to the Simcoe? What grains or hops do you find that blend well with Simcoe?

Simce never tastes sweet or melon-y to me. It's more of a piney cat pee flavor and aroma that I get.

It's awesome with amarillo hops. That's my favorite combo- amarillo and simcoe hops for a grapefruity/piney blend that is perfect in APAs and IPAs.

I better check to see if a cat has been peeing on my melons. Could explain my confusion.

I better check to see if a cat has been peeing on my melons. Could explain my confusion.

Haha. I hate when that happens!

I was explaining chinook hops to a friend not long ago. And I described it as "cat pee, in a good way" without thinking about it. He just looked at me and repeated what I said but very slowly then shook his head. :D

I've just dry hopped with Cluster and Simco. I'm not sure where it came from, but I got some spicy notes in it. Tastes quite nice from the sample whilst kegging,though. I'm sure I will pick up more flavours once I have started on the keg.

Back