Doggie Barley Beer Treat recipe???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
With all the grains after a brew just sitting there does anyone have a good doggie beer bar recipe???

I tried my hand last night and got . . goop!! I Mixed peanut butter, flour and a couple eggs with 5 different grains. Granted our dog loved the goop but after an hour in the oven it was still rather spongy.

Anyone have a real recipe??

Yes, I do it all the time.

I got the recipe here.

4 cups spent grain
4 cups flour
1 cup peanut butter
1 egg

Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Press down into a dense layer on a large cookie sheet. Score almost all the way through into the shapes you want. Bake for about half an hour at 350 F to solidify them. Loosen them from the sheet, break the biscuits apart and return them, loosely spread out on the cookie sheet, to the oven at 225 F for 8 to 10 hours to dry them very thoroughly to prevent mold growth. Store in an airtight container to keep them dry and mold-free.

I don't do the entire 8-10 dry in the oven, just let them go until I think they are good and dry.

Dogs love them and a batch lasts quite a while.

8 to 10 hours in a 225 oven??

What about drying the grains first and THEN mixing the ingredients??

I can see why mine failed last night LOL the 4 to 4 ratio of grain to flour was more like 8 to 1 grain to flour.

Funny thing is my dog still loved it . . . . although he loves poop also.

8 to 10 hours in a 225 oven??

What about drying the grains first and THEN mixing the ingredients??

I can see why mine failed last night LOL the 4 to 4 ratio of grain to flour was more like 8 to 1 grain to flour.

Funny thing is my dog still loved it . . . . although he loves poop also.

You need them to be wet to form a dough and incorporate with the flour. The long dry time is to make sure they are completely dry so that nothing can grow on them. I have never gone for 8 hours, 3-4 hours is plenty.

I noticed the mold in the garden . . .after my dog was rolling in it and eating the dirt LOL

Thanks - YET another excuse to make beer!!! It's for Blake!! :mug:

Hey Beerific,

Have you tasted these yourself? I mean there is no ingredient not edible, I'm sure it can't be worse than any of the commercial granola bars on the market!!!

Hey Beerific,

Have you tasted these yourself? I mean there is no ingredient not edible, I'm sure it can't be worse than any of the commercial granola bars on the market!!!

Yes I have. The finished product is very hard, dry...good for the dogs teeth I guess. But after the initial bake they are like moist cookie texture, kind of bland since there is no added sugar in there. But the peanut butter adds some taste and the dogs love peanut butter.

Back