Cold Press Coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale_Jail

Reaction score
I am in the bottle conditioning stage of my coffee stout. Just thought I would ask if anyone else has used cold press coffee in their beer and how much you ended up using.

In my 5 gallon batch, I used 59.5 oz of cold press coffee. I have see a few posts about people using only a 1/4 cup or something like that. I added mine to taste at bottling time. I took 8 oz of the fermented beer and added the coffee. I kept repeating the process until I found the ratio I liked.

Just curious on what everyone else did.

I used 16 fluid oz of Kona and 16 fluid oz of Sumatra cold pressed coffee in a 5 gallon stout I brewed. It turned out very well and retained the flavor for the 6 months I had it bottled. Both coffees were fresh roasted and course ground at a local coffee shop.

That's cool. I did not realize I would need so much cold press. I thought I would have some left over but I ended up using everything.

I was worried I had put too much in as well. Especially when the coffee flavor seemed more intense once the beer had carbonated. But ultimately it has worked out well for me and I've used this same amount in several coffee stouts with success. Good luck, I'm sure yours will be a great brew too!

I am in the 3rd week of my bottle conditioning. I tried one at week one and week two. It tastes great already, just waiting for a little more carbonation and I hope I get a little more head on it.

Interesting: I'm making a gruit tomorrow and I will be adding coffee at high krausen.

I was thinking of only adding two cups cold pressed dark roast: It's going to be a pale beer with the exception of two lbs of toasted oats.

I would love to hear more about this if anyone has something to share

Tried my beer tonight. I was really good! I might ease up on my cold press a little....bring down from 59.5 oz to 50 or so....but not too much.

Back