Citra AIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goon

Reaction score
Brewing my first original recipe and chose a Citra IPA.

CITRA AIPA

IBU'S: 101.6
ABV: 5.1%
OG: 1.046
FG: 1.014

5 lbs US Pale Malt 2 Row
5 lbs Pale Malt Maris Otter
1 lb Crystal 60

1 oz citra 60 min
.5 oz citra 30 min
.5 oz citra 20 min
.5 oz citra 10 min
.5 oz citra 5 min
1 oz citra 10 minute whirlpool
1 oz citra Dry-Hop 7 days

Wyeast American Ale 1056

Mash at 152 for an hour

60 minute boil with hop additions as noted below

Primary 1 week
Secondary 2 weeks

Looks good. My comments are:

- I think your ABV will be less with those gravities
- Personally, I would add more citra at flameout/dry hop
- Secondaries are for girly men! No, I have no good reason, but I always like dry hopping in primary.

Thanks for your comments. I do have some extra citra hops do I can add more. I will update all of the gravity numbers as I go. That was what beer smith spit out

So my OG is way higher than expected. 1.070! Which is like 25 points higher than expected. It is already down to 5.5 gallons so I can't really add to much water. Can my mash efficiency be too good?

Thoughts?

So my OG is way higher than expected. 1.070! Which is like 25 points higher than expected. It is already down to 5.5 gallons so I can't really add to much water. Can my mash efficiency be too good?

Thoughts?

My first thoughts on this recipy was a way too low ABV to correspond with the 101IBU. There would be no balance in a beer like that (IMHO)

1.070 would be much better with that hop schedule :)

BR Folke

I've read that citra for buttering produces an undesirable grassy flavor.

Your recipe yielding 1.070, something is definitely off. Shouldn't be that high. But also shouldn't be as low as predicted either. My 0.02

I use 1 oz of citra for bittering in my Citra pale ale, and 2 oz at flameout and 2oz dry hop. Usual abv is 6.5ish. The "off" flavor from citra bittering in my experience is only in higher amounts, 2+ oz's

Yep, I used the grains from what was supposed to be more like a double IPA. Oh well lesson learned. I will see how the bitterness is when it is ready. Thanks for the help guys.

I definitely agree with those who said that the IBUs for your expected OG were really high, so that balance would have been way out of whack. And it would seem to me that your have to have really low efficiency expectations to get 1.046 from 11 lbs of grain. And 1.070 from that same grain bill is pretty ridiculous.

Based on the above, you really need to dial in your process so you can produce the beers you expect...or at least get close to them. Good luck!

Thank you for all of your responses. I ended up using the wrong bag of grain bill which ended up being more like 15-16 lbs of grain which is why my OG is so much higher than expected. I will update the recipe tonight with what I actually brewed tonight. Hopefully this beer is not terrible.

Thank you for all of your responses. I ended up using the wrong bag of grain bill which ended up being more like 15-16 lbs of grain which is why my OG is so much higher than expected. I will update the recipe tonight with what I actually brewed tonight. Hopefully this beer is not terrible.

so what was the grainbill?

I obviously have a lot to work on if I can't even use the right bag of grains!

Well...at least your beer will be more balanced between maltiness and bitterness, even if the hoppiness might not shine!

I'm curious as to what the grain bill was...

Here is the recipe that i ended up making in error. Feedback would appreciated so when I attempt to brew it again I can brew a well balanced Citra Hoppy Brew.

CITRA AIPA

IBU'S: 93
ABV: 6.0%
OG: 1.066 (Since i thought i was brewing a lower gravity brew I watered it down from a 1.070, estimated gravity was supposed to be 1.074, so my mash was pretty good!)
FG: 1.011

14 lbs US Pale Malt 2 Row
1 lb Crystal 60
12oz Dextrine Malt

1 oz citra 60 min
.5 oz citra 30 min
.5 oz citra 20 min
.5 oz citra 10 min
.5 oz citra 5 min
2 oz citra 10 minute whirlpool
2 oz citra Dry-Hop 7 days

Wyeast American Ale 1056

Mash at 151 for an hour

60 minute boil with hop additions as noted below

Primary 1 week
Secondary 2 weeks

So I transfered to secondary today and gave it a little taste. I was actually pleasantly suprised. It has a nice citrus aroma and tasted pretty good. Definitely a tad bitter but month less not too vad. It should balance out more as it conditions in the secondary.

Back