chocolate oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boots1216

Reaction score
Hello all,

2 weeks ago I brewed This extract kit from midwest supplies, I plan to bottle in 1 more week. It is their oatmeal stout. I wanted to make mine a chocolate oatmeal stout, I did some research and decided that I should add chocolate and vanilla extract at bottling. The problem is, I do not know how much to add. I have searched for, and read threads here about people adding chocolate to their brews, but have yet to see any advice on exactly how much extract to use. The only warning I did read from one member was to NOT add to taste at bottling because the flavor would get stronger after aging. So if someone can offer some advice about how much extract i should add to my beer that would be wonderful.:mug:

No replys yet, but I thought I should update the thread with what I decided to do. I used this chocolate extract. and some "pure vanilla extract" I got from Wal-Mart. I added 1 oz of the chocolate and 1/2 oz of the vanilla to my ferminter. The beer has been in the ferminter for 2 weeks already and will remain there for 1 more week. I will then rack to my bottling bucket and sample the beer. I will add more extract if I feel its necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back