carlsbad chronic clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopnHooch

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to clone Pizza Port's Carlsbad Chronic?

It's a malty slightly hopped pale, more of a session beer.

I'm having some trouble finding a starting point, may have to head over there and taste it again.

thanks.

Find a session style amber recipe and thats a start. Like brewpastor said ask them, sure they will help you.

it's around 6% - i wouldn't consider that session

I know they used to brew it with hemp seeds, not sure if they still do but if you do use hemp seeds use the hulled ones (no shell) as the shell can produce unwanted tanins

I ended up finding out that the guy that used to be the brewmaster at Pizza Port, Kirk McHale, had sold or partnered with Humbolt. They still brew and sell the recipe as Humbolt Hemp Ale, it is a bit darker, but tastes almost the same. He also sells a kit called Marry Wanna Beer, which has the lighter crystal malts and seems to be more what I am looking for.

Last night I went to the Port and was talking to the bartender, he was telling me it really is more of an English style ale.

Here is the Marry Wanna Beer recipe (all grain):

OG 1.060
FG 1.012
IBU: 35
SRM: 15 (deep amber)

5.5gal batch (7.3g boil)
12# British Pale Malt
1# Crystal 60L
8oz Crystal 135L

0.75oz Eroica @ 60min
0.75oz Columbus @ 1min

White Labs Dry English Ale

Mash at 155. My efficiency is low, 65%, so take that into account. Also, I see Galena is the substitute for Eroica these days.

Hopville . "Mary Wanna Beer" American Pale Ale Recipe

Hey Derek,

I've tried this a couple of times (and am about ready to try it again):

http://hopville.com/recipe/1051354/...-english-pale-ale-recipes/chronic-pale-ale-ii
http://hopville.com/recipe/1017680/...nglish-pale-ale-recipes/chronic-pale-hop-suey
http://hopville.com/recipe/1084376/...english-pale-ale-recipes/chronic-pale-ale-iii

I asked at the brew house about it too, they said it is basically an English style ale.

It seems like the yeast is really important, and should not attenuate too fully. I'd definitely try to use WLP002 or the Wyeast equivalent (1968 London ESB).

Also, I think they use a combination of CaraMunich and Crystal. The beer does have a nice redish hue, that's why I am throwing in the Melanoidin.

Let me know how it goes!

-Hooch.

Very cool Hooch. I'm currently an extract brewer and really like using Beersmith - the following is what I crafted:

- 8.5 lbs. Pilsner LME
- 1 lbs. Crystal 60L
- 1 lbs. Caramunich Malt 60L (Briess)
- .5 lbs Crystal 120L
- 1 oz. Eroica @ 60 min.
- 1 oz. Columbus @ 1 min.
- White Labs English Ale yeast (WLP002)

This gives up the following:
- 31 IBU's
- 5.7% ABV
- 18 SRM

That looks spot on to what Kirk McHale originally brewed, he invented the Chronic (although, I think he used a few of hemp seed).

Btw, Humbolt Hemp Ale is still brewed and bottled, it is a bit darker but very similar. I think he did that one too.

Your recipe looks great.

Back