Can too much Orange Peel and Coriander Seed cause Sourness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tippsy-Turvy

Reaction score
Just tasted my first attempt at a Hoegaarden clone and there was an obvious and upfront sour taste. Not so much a “chemically” or vinegary sourness but more like a lemon juice kind of character (if that makes any sense). There was no particular off-aroma.

Now, I’m aware that it could be an off-flavor but before I look into where I might have erred in my process, can anyone with experience using lots of orange peel & coriander at least rule out or confirm the likelihood that too much bitter orange peel and/or coriander seed as the likely causes? I hope a couple more weeks of conditioning will mellow it out otherwise this batch will be drain cleaner. :(

Any insights are much appreciated.

Fermentables (partial mash):
4.0lbs Pilsner
1.5lb White wheat
1.0lb Torrified wheat
8oz Flaked oats
1.0lb Wheat DME
8oz Belgian candi sugar

Adjuncts:
1.5oz bitter orange peel
2.5 tsp coriander seeds (well crushed)
2g cumin @1min

Hops:
1oz domestic hallertau @30mins
0.5oz saaz @7mins

Yeast:
Safbrew WB06

Other details:
Mash temperature was lower than I had hoped, averaging 140-145. Fermentation temp fixed at 60-62. Hit FG target of 1.010 in 2 weeks. Bottle conditioned for 2 weeks, so far.

I think the wheat as well as the orange peel and corriander combine to make a salty taste. Not sure about Cumin.

It will definitely tone down over time. Might try sweet orange peel next time or use fresh zest and less of it. A little corriander goes a long ways too. That's a funky yeast as well, have you used it before?

The recipe I use for this clone only calls for .5oz each of the bitter orange and coriander, and no cumin. Also, I use a regular Belgian yeast (WLP400). Tastes just like it in a side-by-side comparison. Like the previous poster said, a little of both the orange and coriander goes a long way.

Thanks gents.

Looks like i overdid the adjuncts then (phew). This is the first time i've used the wb-06. My LHBS only carries dry yeast unfortunately and they recommended this as the closest thing they have to a wit yeast.

Hopinjim, would you mind sharing your recipe!?

Yes it can gives awfull result if not used in a proper qty. The rule with spices is always add little by little and correct the amount on the next batch.

Just an update for anyone following this thread or interested in making a Hoegaarden clone.

The beer's been conditioning for ~5 weeks now and the sourness has significantly mellowed! It now tastes, smells and looks exactly like a Hoegaarden.... well, one with a few squeezes of lime juice added! It was perhaps a touch light in maltiness too. Those are also the opinions of friends.

What i'll change for my next attempt will be to reduce the coriander and orange peel (obviously) and also the Belgian Candi as I fear that it added to the sourness - I have no basis for believing this other than knowing it's been citric acid-inverted. I'll also mash at 155-158F levels to increase the maltiness.

Good luck Hoegaarden cloners. :rockin:

Back