Witbier critiques!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshesmusica

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK all, I'm pretty new to this, usually only do extract with steeping grains. Done 9 brews so far. My wife really wants a hoegaarden clone, and of course i gotta get her what she wants when she wants it so that she allows me to keep brewing all the stuff i want. and of course i will drink the styles she likes as well.

so now i'm attempting to venture into the partial mash area. i've read as much as i can about doing the partial mash, and think i'm pretty prepared, but i wanted to make sure my recipe was a good one.

recipe:
.5 kg - pilsner 2 row - 2 ebc - 10.5%
.5 kg - wheat, flaked - 3.2 ebc - 10.5%
.25 kg - oats, flaked - 2 ebc - 5.3%
1 kg - wheat liquid extract - 6.5 ebc - 21.1% - 60 mins
15 g - Saaz - 60 mins - 7.3 IBUs
.5 kg - light dry extract - 8 ebc - 10.5% - 15 mins
2 kg - wheat liquid extract - 6.5 ebc - 15 mins
30 g - Saaz - 10 mins - 5.3 IBUs
7 g - sweet orange peel - 5 mins
3.5 g - coriander seeds (crushed) - 5 mins
1 pkg - Safbrew Specialty Ale T-58
15 g - Citra - dry hop 5 days
15 g - Saaz - dry hop 5 days

I know it's not an exact hoegaarden clone. should be using bitter orange peels, but know she'll like the sweet ones better. shouldn't be using dry yeast, but it's what i prefer, and i think it'll be good enough with t-58. and know i shouldn't be throwing in citra, but one of my favorite beers (and that of my wife) is boulevard's 80-acre hoppy wheat, which has been the one i've attempted to clone the most (5 of my 9 brews!).

other than those critiques, any other ones to add?

That's the beauty of homebrewing, you can make the beer anyway you want it to be. Looks like a good recipe. And as long as you keep the missus happy, it's always a winner. That dry hop will be great!

Toast those coriander seeds a little before you crush and add them, gives better flavor. Not dark roast, just a few shades darker, to a slight tan. If you like the coriander you can easily double it to 7 grams for that batch. That's what I've been using, 7g dried peel (ground up in an electric coffee grinder) + 7g coriander, and I like to keep steeping them a bit longer, 30 minutes at 170-190°F after flameout, before chilling it all the way down.

Added:
If you want a more permanent haze, add a tablespoon of wheat flour (bread or cake flour), made into a slurry with some water, at 5 minutes.

Latest posts

Back