Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Brown IPA / Black IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #11
alexdagrate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDBREW View Post
IPA= india PALE ALE There is no such thing as a Black or Brown IPA. ESB means Extra Special Bitter, Brown means just that. Stout is a whole other catagory.

Why don't you make another catagory like real bitter black dookie
There are several breweries that make IPAs that are black or brown in color. Many of them are using the new category called Cascadian Dark Ale for Black IPAs.

Dogfish Head calls its darker beer an India Brown Ale.

IPAs have little to do with color in the USA now. Think of how dark many IIPAs are.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2009, 10:20 PM   #12
OLDBREW
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdagrate View Post
There are several breweries that make IPAs that are black or brown in color. Many of them are using the new category called Cascadian Dark Ale for Black IPAs.

Dogfish Head calls its darker beer an India Brown Ale.

IPAs have little to do with color in the USA now. Think of how dark many IIPAs are.
that's fine to creat a different name as long as you don't use IPA with a dark color

germans have the wordage dunkel or schwarz as dark or black.

I saw the wordage india brown or indian brown that would fit the profile much better then using india black pale ale

Cascadian dark sounds like a winner for a heavily hopped dark ale/lager using cascade as the primary hop.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #13
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would have to say that they are referring to the Cascade Mtns which are a range of mountains on the West Coast that runs from California to Washington. So any of the hops that are grown in that vast area are suitable.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:39 PM   #14
OLDBREW
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

even though cascade hops are usa in nature they are accepted into all versions of the ipa's, so I would think that cascadian dark would give you the hint of that dark beer being a hoppy one. just my take on the name

Old 11-15-2009, 10:53 PM   #15
OLDBREW
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
IPAs have little to do with color in the USA now. Think of how dark many IIPAs are
that is my point.. they are not IPA's. Try to enter one under the IPA catagory

Appearance: Color ranges from golden amber to medium reddish copper; some versions can have an orange-ish tint. Should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy. Good head stand with off-white color should persist

Old 11-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #16
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 21

So I went beer hunting and I got some beers I thought may fit the profile. First one is the Southern Tier "Iniquity", Imperial Black Ale (IBA). It's sweet, fruity (like if they used the Chico yeast "fruity") slightly chocolaty, but it lacks the bitterness and the hop aroma of the IPA. There is no IBU's level listed on the bottle, but they hint it is similar to an IPA:

Quote:
This beer is contrary to what one may expect from an IPA; this is an ale as black as night. It is the antithesis of Unearthly
http://www.southerntierbrewing.com/beers.html
Actually this beer reminds me of a bigger, stronger (8.9 ABV), fruitier type of Pete's Wicked Ale

Quick Reply