*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Boulevard Smokestack Sixth Glass/Bourbon Barrel Quad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010, 02:29 AM   #11
remilard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Try emailing the brewery, they are pretty nice people.

You can get the candi syrup online, do it.

Don't forget the carbonation, smokestack beers are HIGHLY carbonated (even the IPA). Boulevard's excellent website lists carbonation for every beer both as volumes and grams per liter.

I am almost positive I saw palettes of oregon fruits cherry puree at Boulevard, I assume that is what they are using in BBQ.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2010, 11:59 PM   #12
xeerohour
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well, I made a few mistakes, and I think they bit me.

The biggest mistake I made was I misjudged the temperature of my grain, and rather than hitting my first step at 146, I found myself mashing at 149. To get around this I decided to just mash for 90 minutes at 149 instead of the step mash.

The second mistake I made was that I wound up with closer to 5.5 gallons instead of 5 gallons, which was the volume I used for all my calculations.

At least partially due to those, I wound up with an OG (without the brown sugar and dark candi syrup added) of 1.061, and it should have been 1.071. So, I'm not going to hit the 10% I hoped for, that's for sure. (When I add the sugars in a couple days here I should bump up the gravity about 15 points.)

However - the color looks good, the smell (especially from the hallertauer hops) is awesome, and I have high hopes that even if I failed to make a true clone of the BBQ, at least I've made myself a solid belgian beer - and I even have an extra half gallon to drink!

Old 10-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #13
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

None of those problems sound that bad to me. Avery mashes at 149 so you should be fine there. You could always up the sugar a little bit to help the ABV, but it'll probably make a fine beer despite not going exactly to plan.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 10-07-2010, 04:33 AM   #14
Nateo
Recipes 

Xeerohour inspired me to make another quad today. I did my first decoction mash ever, at 146/158. I got 88% efficiency, which was way more than I expected, so I hit my target OG without any sugar additions.

If you have most of a day to kill brewing, I really recommend the decoction mash. It's too early to say how the finished product tastes, but the aroma was killer, and it gave the wort a lot of color, so I know there were some Maillard reactions going on. I only used pale and a touch of special B, and it was the best smelling/tasting wort I've ever made. I'm going to start doing decoctions on all my beers now.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

Old 10-14-2010, 02:26 AM   #15
xeerohour
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Update on this one, for those of you who care...

Two days after brewing, last Tuesday, I stirred up 2 cups of water with a pound of brown sugar, boiled it, chilled it, and added it and the belgian candi syrup to the primary fermenter. That kicked off a real mess, filling up the blowoff tube, and it's been fermenting strong for over a week since then - by far the longest primary fermentation I've ever had.

The intiall temps stayed in the 60s, and I've allowed them to ramp up to the upper 70s/low 80s over the past week (really, the climate did it for me, I've just been lucky).

Ten days into fermentation, I've run out of patience: I finally pulled a "gravity reading". I put that in quotes because I really just wanted to sample it.

Current gravity: 1.015 - with it still fermenting, it's not unreasonable to think I could hit my 1.010 target. Thank you Nateo for the advice!

As to the taste - I really like it. It has a much fruitier flavor than I was shooting for, with a strong banana flavor, and I'm hoping that particular note settles out. It's also much less harsh on the tongue than Boulevard's version - I'd have to guess they used even more sugar than I did in order to get that harsher alcohol note.

For those of you that are curious, this big beautiful beer has gone from looking like this ten days ago:

To looking like this now:

Thinking I'd best let this one sit for at least a week after fermenation stops to clean itself up before I rack it into the bourbon, oak chips, and cherries.

Last edited by xeerohour; 10-14-2010 at 02:30 AM.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #16
Nateo
Recipes 

You inspired me to brew another quad. Here's my recipe, if you're interested:

OG: 1.095
FG: 1.010
Boil:
Pale - 72.8%
Special B - 5.2%
Primary:
Turbinado - 14.2%
D2 - 7.8%

Double decoction with 146/158 sacc rests. 88% efficiency, which caught me off-guard. I actually overshot my OG even without the sugar additions. I started out at 1.101, so when I did my sugar additions, I added enough water to dilute it down to my target OG.

Pitched onto yeast cake from my dubbel, 3787. Hit my FG within 2 weeks without any issues or effort. A bit of hot alcohol in my sample, with a nice fruitiness. Not quite as much chocolate as I wanted. Next time I think I'll scale back the base malt, up the D2, and aim for a <10% ABV brew.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:59 PM   #17
xeerohour
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quick update on this one - brewed it on 10/3, and fermentation appeared to finally finish up this past week.

On Saturday, 10/23, I took a gravity reading and it was at 1.009! Excellent attenuation.

I racked it over on top of 48oz of cherry puree, 8oz of Makers Mark bourbon, and a handful of american oak chips.

It's still a bit fruity for my tastes - I'm not a big Belgian fan, but I always liked the BBQ for its smoothness and alcohol burn. Time to let it age and see how it turns out.

Last edited by xeerohour; 10-26-2010 at 09:43 PM.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:26 AM   #18
natedread
Recipes 

found this thread the other day while searching for Boulevard clones.... the BBQ is one of my favorites ! How did it turn out ?

Old 03-22-2011, 01:40 AM   #19
xeerohour
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The mouthfeel wasn't the same, but the aroma is dead on cherries. If I had to do it again, I would use more Crystal malt to give it a more full body.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:28 AM   #20
theschick
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How long did you keep it on the cherries/oak? I just had a bottle of the BBQ a couple of weeks ago (a buddy had it in his cellar). Fantastic beer.

Kansas City area people: Check out the KC home brew club: www.kcbiermeisters.org

Quick Reply