Amarillo substiution? Blend of hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanMyers

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm looking to do a Wookie Jack clone or really a black ipa as there are none available on the market in my area. I'm planning on following the recipe below, though I've never had it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/firestone-walker-wookey-jack-clone-attempt-333436/

In any case it calls for a significant amount of Amarillo, which I incorrectly thought I had. (turns out the mason jar was filled with Simcoe).

Several sites recommend centennial or cascade or ahtanum.

I have access to various hops at me LHBS but unfortunately not amarillo or ahtanum. And I've already ordered, waited and received 5 oz of Citra..

So my question is: whats everyone's opinion for a blend of hops to pair with Citra for Wookie jack?

Cascade and centennial - half and half?
Stick with one or the other?
Add in some Ahtanum?

LHBS is stocked with the regulars like chinook and I have several ounces of Simcoe.

I'm really open to anything, again just curious and not concerned with an exact clone as I don't know what the original tastes like.

Thanks
Dan

I'd go with something like 3/4 Cascade, 1/4 Simcoe. Amarillo's such a wonderfully unique hop that you're never going to truly recreate it. But since you haven't had the target beer, who's gonna know?

Ultimately, it sounds like you could use any of the hops in your stash and make a great beer so just go for it.

I don't think it will matter as much as you think for a dark beer like Wookey Jack. You just won't get an exact clone. But for a substitution, if any, you probably want a fruitier American hop like Falconers Flight, Centennial, or Zythos.

Ahtanum is straight up herbal orange zest. I don't get that from Amarillo. And Amarillo is much more complex than the one note grapefruit blast you get from Cascade.

In large amounts, and late in the boil + dryhop, Amarillo is more fruity/peachy/juicy... In moderate amounts late in the boil, Amarillo can be more floral and grapefruity. You want the former.

Perfect, thanks for the replies!
I'm definitely leaning towards 1/4 Simcoe, and 3/4's cascade. However, I agree with bobbrews about the single note of cascade and importance of an intense flavours like centennial. I think I'll incorporate 1/4 to 1/2 centennial.

Thanks again,
Dan

Back