alternative to Brewtek CL-50?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbarron

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm new to the board -- posting at least! I've thoroughly enjoyed reading messages on the board the past few months and if I had had anything to add to any discussion, I would have registered sooner. I've been brewing on and off for about 10 years now. Anyhoo, had a quick question.

I've run across a recipe I'd like to make and it calls for one of the old Brewtek yeast strains, the CL-50. I know this company is now defunct (although you can still obtain slants from places). Could anyone suggest a YeastLabs and/or Wyeast alternative to the CL-50? I'm assuming I should use something like the Wyeast 1056 or Whitelabs WLP001 or the 041 (Pacific Ale), but wanted to see if anyone else had other suggestions. Basically I'm going for something along the lines of the Pacman yeast . . . .

TIA!

i'd go with the Wyeast Pacific Northwest Ale yeast. it's available year round. i think the White Labs is a platinum version with a limited release that comes out in early spring? i have a brew fermenting w/ the Wyeast Pacific Northwest ale right now. looks yummy!

I receintly made two batches of austinhomebrew's Roque Mocha Porter clone (mini-mash), one using WL Cal. Ale V per their recommendation and one using Nottingham dried yeast. No one who has tasted the two batches can tell any difference. However, since they did recommend WL Cal. Ale V, I would assume they believe this to be close to pacman.

gbarron said:
Hi folks, I'm new to the board -- posting at least! I've thoroughly enjoyed reading messages on the board the past few months and if I had had anything to add to any discussion, I would have registered sooner. I've been brewing on and off for about 10 years now. Anyhoo, had a quick question.

I've run across a recipe I'd like to make and it calls for one of the old Brewtek yeast strains, the CL-50. I know this company is now defunct (although you can still obtain slants from places). Could anyone suggest a YeastLabs and/or Wyeast alternative to the CL-50? I'm assuming I should use something like the Wyeast 1056 or Whitelabs WLP001 or the 041 (Pacific Ale), but wanted to see if anyone else had other suggestions. Basically I'm going for something along the lines of the Pacman yeast . . . .

TIA!

Good question.

All I have on the subject is that CL-50 (the supposed Pacman strain) is still available. Try here (This site can also be reached by going through the home page, www.brewingscience.com). It looks a little pricey, but if you are desperate, it is an option.

I've also heard that Wyeast 1272 is the same thing. Might want to investigate that further, or wait for replies here.

ORRELSE said:
Good question.

All I have on the subject is that CL-50 (the supposed Pacman strain) is still available. Try here (This site can also be reached by going through the home page, www.brewingscience.com). It looks a little pricey, but if you are desperate, it is an option.

I've also heard that Wyeast 1272 is the same thing. Might want to investigate that further, or wait for replies here.

i had heard the same about the Wyeast 1332, but don't know for sure.
here's Wyeast's description:

1332 Northwest Ale Yeast. One of the classic ale strains from the Northwest U.S. Breweries. Produces a malty and mildly fruity ale with good depth and complexity. Flocculation - high; apparent attenuation 67-71%. (65-75° F, 18-24° C)

either ones will work well.

DeRoux's Broux said:
i'd go with the Wyeast Pacific Northwest Ale yeast. it's available year round. i think the White Labs is a platinum version with a limited release that comes out in early spring? i have a brew fermenting w/ the Wyeast Pacific Northwest ale right now. looks yummy!
DRB, how did this come out? I just pitched 1332 into an ale this weekend and have never used it before. Is it worth harvesting and keeping around? After kicking around on the web it seems like there are two types of people: those who believe 1332 is Pacman, and those who don't.

Yeast Strain Chart from the BJCP Continuing Education Director. It compares White Labs and Wyeast strains and gives their probable origins. Wyeast 1332 is the Hales (Oregon) strain, though originally from Gales in the UK. It's not as attenuative as Pacman is supposed to be. If CL-50 is indeed the Pacman strain, Austin Homebrew has it in stock.

Wyeast did come out with Denny's Favorite 50 not long ago, reportedly his cultured strain of Brewtek CL-50. Looks like a couple of places still have it in stock.

Chad

Back