Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > AHS Purple Haze Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2009, 02:49 AM   #1
BrewinHog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default AHS Purple Haze Clone

With crawfish season right around the corner I am planning on brewing a purple haze clone to go with the crawfish. Has anyone brewed this kit from AHS before? Also, I want to do the all grain version, but I have never done a wheat beer all grain. My understanding is that you have to raise the temp over time. I can't really do that with my 10 gallon home depot cooler. My question is could I brew this beer all grain with my mash tun or should I just go PM or extract?

Thanks!

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Dry hopping Blind Hawg Pale Ale
Bottled - Double Chocolate Stout, Honey Cream Ale, AHS Special Holiday Ale
Kegged - Apfelwein, Orange/Cascade Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 07:19 AM   #2
mkade
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewinHog View Post
With crawfish season right around the corner I am planning on brewing a purple haze clone to go with the crawfish. Has anyone brewed this kit from AHS before? Also, I want to do the all grain version, but I have never done a wheat beer all grain. My understanding is that you have to raise the temp over time. I can't really do that with my 10 gallon home depot cooler. My question is could I brew this beer all grain with my mash tun or should I just go PM or extract?

Thanks!
You can always do a quasi decoction for the different rests, where you'll draw out a (liquid) portion of the mash, bring it to boil, and then return it to the mash tun, thereby raising the temp. On the other hand, if the PH clone uses malted wheat, you'll be fine with a single infusion mash.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
jgourd
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So has anyone tried this kit from AHS? Any opinions on how close it is to the real thing? I'm also interested in the AG version. Single infusion mash fine?

Old 05-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #4
wsgbane
Recipes 

I'm interested in this now, for the same reasons the OP mentioned (having crawfish shipped).

Quick Reply